NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First and second round games for next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
binder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
binder wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:
I want to go on the record right now as saying that everyone who comes to KapCon should be volunteering either for a round on the desk or to run a game.

I disagree, the con should be about having fun and connecting with friends (new or old). If this having fun means volunteering either for a round on the desk or running a game then so be it.

Let's not make the con any less fun for those who actually enjoy and feel comfortable just turning up and playing (they do pay for the privilege) .

As a side note, I saw that a few planned games ended up being canned due to interest, while others could have filled up 5 fold. Perhaps we should actually be encouraging people to play in games!

Marcus

Maybe the do need to pay the true cost of running the con. We gie up a lot of time to put this together.

Well then you start to get into the balancing act of cost versus benefit. You aren't going to encourage new gamers if you make the cost too high, but on the other hand you need to ensure that those who run and admin get some benefit for doing so.

Again it depends on why we (that is the collective, universal WE BTW) are running Kapcon? These are questions that the con organisers will have look at as it gets larger (amongst others i.e. the roles of larps in the con, GOD, boardgames, etc.)
tog42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Additionally, there's a thing where the games on demand room tends to get 2-8 extra people each round who didn't bother signing up. This is hard for us to handle (there's only a limited number of us able to run - sometimes we can't just take everyone who walks in, although we try). I know that sometimes games are unsubscribed in those same rounds. This certainly is not ideal.

We were registering players to the limit you had provided Mike so you were certainly under no obligation to squeeze them all in (though it was nice of you to do so Smile ). We'll need to clarify that GOD has limited capacity next year and people do need to sign up for it so you're not in this position again.
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
tog42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
But encouraging someone new to GM for the first time, then having their game not fill up, isn't exactly going to make them keen to GM again.

My observation this year was that it tended to be games that didn't have a blurb up that didn't fill. Off the top of my head none were new GMs but you have a valid point. Something for the encouraging new GMs thread.
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
MikeSands

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tog42 wrote:
We were registering players to the limit you had provided Mike so you were certainly under no obligation to squeeze them all in (though it was nice of you to do so Smile ). We'll need to clarify that GOD has limited capacity next year and people do need to sign up for it so you're not in this position again.

Yes, I was pretty sure it wasn't that you were suddenly signing up an extra few people without warning.

I think it's really that the "we're relaxed and we'll pick a game by popular demand" attitude is interpreted by some as "I don't need to sign up or anything, they'll be able to handle it" or even "I won't bother signing up for anything because I'll go to the games on demand room"
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I want to go on the record right now as saying that everyone who comes to KapCon should be volunteering either for a round on the desk or to run a game.

Statistically, that's the case. Six rounds, six people per game (including the GM) means one game to pull your weight.

But not everyone GMs, and we understand this. Not every GM feels confident to GM in a con format or in front of strangers, and we understand this too. We'd like people to GM, we want them to give it a go (and Dan etc are working on helping people who want to try that) - but we'll understand if you don't want to.

That's fine. But if you just want to play, fid whoever GMs in your group, and get them to GM in your place Smile
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
But encouraging someone new to GM for the first time, then having their game not fill up, isn't exactly going to make them keen to GM again.

Yes. I'm aware that that happened at least once this con, and it sucks.

FWIW, the game in question sounded interesting, but I was GMing that round; if the GM wants to run it sometime, we will happily come down to play.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tog42 wrote:
My observation this year was that it tended to be games that didn't have a blurb up that didn't fill.

We can solve this, at least partly. I had the timetable set the week before the con. This year I mailed it out to GMs so they could check their times, see who was in their first- or second-round games, and make their picks. Next year I can mail it out (sans names) to everyone who has pre-registered, along with a document containig the blurbs. This doesn't help with the inevitable last-minute changes, but it means everyone will have had a chance to see what's on offer and plan their con.
Anna K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiot, I believe you cornered me at Norm's house and I promised to run a game for you in first or second round. It'll probably be a larp because that's what I do Very Happy
Conan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Additionally, there's a thing where the games on demand room tends to get 2-8 extra people each round who didn't bother signing up. This is hard for us to handle (there's only a limited number of us able to run - sometimes we can't just take everyone who walks in, although we try). I know that sometimes games are unsubscribed in those same rounds. This certainly is not ideal.

Well I'll be putting my hand up to do at least one round of GMing/facilitating for GoD. I'll be able to bring along Cold City, Hot War, Hellcats and Hockeysticks, MaOCT and possibly a few other games by next Kapcon. Smile

Conan
MikeSands

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
Well I'll be putting my hand up to do at least one round of GMing/facilitating for GoD. I'll be able to bring along Cold City, Hot War, Hellcats and Hockeysticks, MaOCT and possibly a few other games by next Kapcon. Smile

Great! I'll include you when we start get organised for next year.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:

But not everyone GMs, and we understand this. Not every GM feels confident to GM in a con format or in front of strangers, and we understand this too. We'd like people to GM, we want them to give it a go (and Dan etc are working on helping people who want to try that) - but we'll understand if you don't want to.

That's why I included a round on the desk. As far as I could see this year, you had the likes of Scott, Nick and Marcus on the desk for rounds, which means you kill a round that a GM could be GMing and/or a round that a GM could actually be getting to play. Having GMs on the desk is not the best use of their time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xyphoid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
Many people seem to come to Kapcon to catch up with old friends and play in their games. But encouraging someone new to GM for the first time, then having their game not fill up, isn't exactly going to make them keen to GM again.

Maybe the support network just needs to be a conspiracy of experienced players who find out about newbies who're running games, and deliberately sign up for them. As a GM, there's a huge difference between getting a group of players who've ended up in your game as their 3rd choice and aren't particularly active, and a bunch of people who're enthused and working to make the game great.
Dale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe the support network just needs to be a conspiracy of experienced players who find out about newbies who're running games, and deliberately sign up for them. As a GM, there's a huge difference between getting a group of players who've ended up in your game as their 3rd choice and aren't particularly active, and a bunch of people who're enthused and working to make the game great

This is a great suggestion!
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe the support network just needs to be a conspiracy of experienced players who find out about newbies who're running games, and deliberately sign up for them. As a GM, there's a huge difference between getting a group of players who've ended up in your game as their 3rd choice and aren't particularly active, and a bunch of people who're enthused and working to make the game great.

I like that too...
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="xyphoid"]
icehawk wrote:
As a GM, there's a huge difference between getting a group of players who've ended up in your game as their 3rd choice and aren't particularly active, and a bunch of people who're enthused and working to make the game great.

I feel you here, I had one of my games bunk out with 0 interest which is fine because I have run a lot of games for Kapcon over the years, But then there were only 3 choices for me to play in, One of them was GOD which I am always happy to play in, if that wasn't available I'd likely have gone home or to the pub as Id rather not annoy people who were dead keen on the game.

Thats the risk though, that if you GM and you don't fill that you end up drawing the short straw and having very little choice in options to play.

And there is after all... GOD Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: