NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First and second round games for next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menolly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to volunteer for GMing again next year. All 6 sessions and 1 in the late Saturday night slot. I may not actually GM every session (I had Richard run one) but I will organise enough games that run 3 hours for a range of options... plus some optional 2 slot session games for Sat 3rd session/into late larp time.

binder wrote:
As a side note, I saw that a few planned games ended up being canned due to interest, while others could have filled up 5 fold. Perhaps we should actually be encouraging people to play in games!

As someone who actually ran or had a game running every session but we weren't full I was a bit concerned that a couple of sessions had 0 players on my list but I had 3 in my room every time. If I'm running RPGA games in the same time slots as everyone else I need those who register for RPGA to be listed... so people know my games are running. Yes, the RPGA folks don't fill in game slots... but usually when they sign up for RPGA all weekend... they mean all weekend Smile

MikeSands wrote:
Additionally, there's a thing where the games on demand room tends to get 2-8 extra people each round who didn't bother signing up. This is hard for us to handle (there's only a limited number of us able to run - sometimes we can't just take everyone who walks in, although we try). I know that sometimes games are unsubscribed in those same rounds. This certainly is not ideal.

We could have taken some of this overflow... we only had maybe 1 session on Sat and 1 on Sun that was actually full with 6 players...

tog42 wrote:

My observation this year was that it tended to be games that didn't have a blurb up that didn't fill. Off the top of my head none were new GMs but you have a valid point.

This is my bad... in RPGA the idea is like the GOD room, you have a pile of games spread out on the table and find out which ones people want to play in that session.... we had 10 games on offer plus 2 DnD encounter series so we had loads of options... but we didn't have anyone come in for a look.

May I suggest that we put the RPGA DnD room beside GOD next year so people can float in between the rooms to check out what's on offer please?
Menolly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First and second round games for next year Reply with quote

I don't think you will shrink too much. The Wellington Harn chap is planning to organise something for next year and there are a couple of murmers on their forums about a couple of the Aussie people possibly coming over... so you may have Harn games on offer again. Just not a full Con, there are other countries they have to visit... Smile

Plus depending on if I can convince Richard to run another RPGA game I may offer a Harn game myself Laughing

IdiotSavant wrote:
The con will shrink a bit next year, as HarnCon is off somewhere else, but we'll still be needing a lot of games.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menolly wrote:
May I suggest that we put the RPGA DnD room beside GOD next year so people can float in between the rooms to check out what's on offer please?

This seems like a good idea to me!
Confusion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
I think it's really that the "we're relaxed and we'll pick a game by popular demand" attitude is interpreted by some as "I don't need to sign up or anything, they'll be able to handle it" or even "I won't bother signing up for anything because I'll go to the games on demand room"

Ah crap, sorry. I misinterpreted how GoD worked (I realise what it's about, but didn't realise it was formal enough to require proper selection) so when in round 5 I canned my game due to not having the energy to pull it off, I hung around at the edge of your room rather than organizing the 2 people that ahd signed up to play a boardgame or something. I'll make sure not to do it again. (Though you guys coped wonderfully with the over-large influx of players, so, kudos to the GoD GMs.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MikeSands

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
Ah crap, sorry. I misinterpreted how GoD worked (I realise what it's about, but didn't realise it was formal enough to require proper selection) so when in round 5 I canned my game due to not having the energy to pull it off, I hung around at the edge of your room rather than organizing the 2 people that ahd signed up to play a boardgame or something. I'll make sure not to do it again. (Though you guys coped wonderfully with the over-large influx of players, so, kudos to the GoD GMs.)

Well, the problem is that there's a limited number of us, so when lots of extra people turn up we can't really cope (unless other people step in to help, as Dan and Ruth did in certain rounds). We certainly try our hardest to sort everyone out. If there were enough of us to cope, we'd love to run games for all who turn up.

Idea for convention team: if a game gets pulled due to not enough signups, steer the facilitator to us to offer in that Games on Demand round!
Catnip

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyphoid wrote:

Maybe the support network just needs to be a conspiracy of experienced players who find out about newbies who're running games, and deliberately sign up for them. As a GM, there's a huge difference between getting a group of players who've ended up in your game as their 3rd choice and aren't particularly active, and a bunch of people who're enthused and working to make the game great.

We should check whether this is what new GMs actually want. I could see it actually being more intimidating to find out that everyone who has signed up for your game is a former Kapcon Best GM (for example)
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
I think it's really that the "we're relaxed and we'll pick a game by popular demand" attitude is interpreted by some as "I don't need to sign up or anything, they'll be able to handle it" or even "I won't bother signing up for anything because I'll go to the games on demand room"

Like Will, I would have assumed this, to be honest.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last couple of years it has kind of been running like that. But it has become more and more popular, and so to make it easier and fairer on the GoD facilitators (and to give everyone the best gaming experience possible) we were pushing signing up for the round this year.

There is some leeway of course and Mike and his team adapt really well, but when they have 3 facilitators and 22 people in the room it can be a stretch.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the ball rolling:

The Archmage's Crown
Number of players: 6
System: Freeform / BURPS

Nearly a century ago King Valiant and his Paladins drove a band of evil wizards from the Kingdom of Arlandia. The wizards eventually settled in the barren wastelands north of Arlandia, erected the Ebon Tower to provide a safe haven and subsisted off tribute they extorted from the local goblin population.

As the original wizards succumbed to old age their ranks were replenished by a slow but steady stream of disaffected wizards from Arlandia. Every so often the wizards of Ebon Tower came up with dastardly plans to conquer the world. However, none of them
proved effective. Perhaps this was because too much time was spent arguing about who used the last of the dragons blood and forgot to order any more.

The most powerful wizard in the Ebon Tower is known as the Archmage and rules the other wizards through fear and intimidation. The Archmage's power is amplified greatly by a mystical crown. Whenever an Archmage dies, whoever first bonds with the Archmage's crown becomes the new Archmage.

You can guess what happens next, can't you?

A Pratchettesque comedy-fantasy by Donna Giltrap. People who have played "The Golden Pegasus" and "Graduation day" may find some setting elements familiar.
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catnip wrote:
We should check whether this is what new GMs actually want. I could see it actually being more intimidating to find out that everyone who has signed up for your game is a former Kapcon Best GM (for example)

I'd take that challenge, Now find me 6 "Best GM's" lol.

Le Glock
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catnip wrote:
I could see it actually being more intimidating to find out that everyone who has signed up for your game is a former Kapcon Best GM (for example)

Though if you're new, you might not even know. Smile

TBH, the best single session and best GM awards quickly fade in memory. I can remember the last two years and that's about it. And I can really only remember last year because I won best-single last year. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MikeSands

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
MikeSands wrote:

Like Will, I would have assumed this, to be honest.

Yeah, ideally it would be.
Karen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I want to go on the record right now as saying that everyone who comes to KapCon should be volunteering either for a round on the desk or to run a game.

The first two years I attended KapCon, this would've been equivalent to saying I couldn't come, since I never knew when I was going to have to leave to do kid-stuff... This is the kind of thinking that creates an exclusive club...

I don't resent GMing... I also think once people have been round for a couple of years and become more part of the community they become likely to help out if they know the opportunities are there and they are helping out their friends... don't we want enthusiasm, not obligation?
Karen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know I prefer rounds 2 and 5, but I have to consult, since I won't be fully autonomous Smile
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earth trembles! KapCon stirs in its dreamless slumber, waiting for the time when the Stars Are Right and the dice will roll natural 20! All it needs is loyal members of the cult of KapCon to step forward to sacrifice themselves to bring about its awakening...

Which, in English, means "it's June, so its time to start getting those blurbs for first and second round games". We'd like to be able to advertise at the August cons, with the core of a first and second round timetable. Which means we need 4 - 6 games in each session. So far we're a quarter of the way there, with 3 games in total.

If you wish to --fling yourself into the tentacled maw-- run a game, please enter your blurb here:

http://kapcon.rpg.net.nz/?q=gamereg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: