NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Badges and online IDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla had a necklace with letters spelling out her name on over the weekend. I thought that was a nice way of introducing herself Smile

I think the more people do this kind of named shirt, necklace, custom badge thing the better. I am terrible with names and even name badges can let you down if someone puts a shirt or hoodie on over the badge.
SamW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenni wrote:
I think the more people do this kind of named shirt, necklace, custom badge thing the better. I am terrible with names and even name badges can let you down if someone puts a shirt or hoodie on over the badge.

Or do my usual, and lose it during the first day sometime. I do like the necklace idea, I have one of those somewhere must find it for the next con.
Karen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so not wearing a name badge with drbunnyhops on it! People might confuse me with something cute and cuddly!
binder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen wrote:
I am so not wearing a name badge with drbunnyhops on it! People might confuse me with something cute and cuddly!

Owww... Razz I thought we were planning on writing a combined adventures about bunnies... IN SPAAACEEE Razz That goes along with your 'online' name doesn't it...
Giffy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from Alasdair, I had to rewrite my name badge as it had the wrong surname on it. Even if I *had* taken my husband's surname, it was still spelled wrong.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In nicks defense, that was my fault.

I forgot if you took his name or not

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this as a dig, its not intended as so.

Paul wrote:
In nicks defense, that was my fault.

I forgot if you took his name or not

I think the "policy" should just be, (Use the information from the Registration, Irrespective what the admins of Kapcon think). That way if there is an issue you can always say "Not my fault you can't spell your own name".

If there was no "Registration" then you can say... You didnt reg, we took an educated guess... Walk it off citizen! Smile
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking with the name badge thing for a second, how did people feel about the
"first time kapcon" v. "player entrant" v. "GM entrant"?

My gut feel is that I'd like to see those removed, and actually I'd like to see a flat entry fee with no discount for GMs.

Perhaps that's two separate issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
My gut feel is that I'd like to see those removed, and actually I'd like to see a flat entry fee with no discount for GMs.

Perhaps that's two separate issues.

Given that I agree with the first and disagree with the later, I suspect that they are two.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the First Time Kapcon flag - it made it a bit more likely for me to start a random conversation with a new person rather than just assuming they were a regular I'd never met before.
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Luke's comment - irrelevant on the name badge if someone is a GM or a player, but do think GM's should retain a discount. Anything to keep encouraging more GM's, especially given the size of the Con.

And also second having people with 'First Timer' on the badge plus their discount - a neat idea.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie wrote:
I liked the First Time Kapcon flag - it made it a bit more likely for me to start a random conversation with a new person rather than just assuming they were a regular I'd never met before.

Good point. Perhaps making it optional for first timers, so that they can make that decisions (assuming that's not too much admin hassle).
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Adams wrote:
Second Luke's comment - irrelevant on the name badge if someone is a GM or a player, but do think GM's should retain a discount. Anything to keep encouraging more GM's, especially given the size of the Con.

I am not sure that the discount makes a difference to anyone, except to create a perceived "special status" viz reduced fees, for GMs. I think that removing the discount would psychologically remove a barrier to GMing.

Just a theory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I think that removing the discount would psychologically remove a barrier to GMing.

I don't follow. Surely the discount (in return for running a game, i.e. helping the con work) can only be an incentive?

I realise that psychology is weird and sometimes incentives work counterintuitively, but I've never seen anything that suggested a discount like this would dissuade people.
tog42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:
I think the "policy" should just be, (Use the information from the Registration, Irrespective what the admins of Kapcon think). That way if there is an issue you can always say "Not my fault you can't spell your own name".

The purpose of the name badges is to identify you to everyone else at the table. This is important for game scoring and player nominations.

Names for the name badges were taken from the 'Real Name' field from the registration website. A number of these had just a first name here. The convention has gotten so big in the last few years that doubling up on names is going to be inevitable. This caused some confusion last year. As such, where ever I could I added a surname. In the interest of fairness I also did this for those who had supplied a nickname. If the name on the badge wasn't quite correct, my apologies.

We'll be tweaking the registration to require both a first name and a last name for 2012. Then we can do exactly as Glock says.
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: