NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Badges and online IDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I am not sure that the discount makes a difference to anyone, except to create a perceived "special status" viz reduced fees, for GMs. I think that removing the discount would psychologically remove a barrier to GMing.

Just a theory.

I get what you are saying, but I am not seeing it. I think there are good reasons why GMs should have a reduced entry fee and even if it had a slight negative impact on new GMs I don't see it would outweigh them.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
I get what you are saying, but I am not seeing it. I think there are good reasons why GMs should have a reduced entry fee and even if it had a slight negative impact on new GMs I don't see it would outweigh them.

Nod.

I've seen a lot of speculation about why it's hard to get people GMing, but "people don't want to pay less to get in" has never come up.
Jenni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a fan of the "First Kapcon" note on the badges, it meant like Steph, I didn't just assume it was someone I had met before and forgotten the name of.

As someone who is terrible with names, I appreciated knowing I should introduce myself Smile
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
I've seen a lot of speculation about why it's hard to get people GMing, but "people don't want to pay less to get in" has never come up.

There is also a matter of balance. The current hot topic is getting more GMs and that is important. But the organisers need to balance this against a whole bunch of other things.

I think its also important to acknowledge that Kapcon is getting new GMs at the moment. Sure it can't rest on its laurels but the situation has improved already over the last few years to some extent. The low GM fee might have fed that trend somewhat and reversing it requires caution.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems silly, but when I was considering going to Neoncon last year, an event for which my split of hotel fees and petrol cost ~$150, and probably the same again in food and... drink... over the course of the weekend, the fact that I was going to have to fork over ~$40 for con registration whether I GMed or not was a factor in my decision not to run anything on the schedule. In some ways, the GM discount is a compensation for the fact that at a certain time, I have to be somewhere, and that I have to plan the rest of my activities (including sleep) around that fact.

This would probably be less of a concern for Kapcon, which seems to have much more structure than the American style I'm now used to.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy the way it is to be honest. An addition to the name field is good if wished (for those who have odd handles. I get by with Ants just fine thanks Wink )

I like having the tiered discount. I think the discount for GM's is fair compensation for taking the time to run a game for our enjoyment. While they may do it anyway it is a nice perk, and certainly more GM's is never a bad thing. This encourages it. As with any discount - new player, pre reg, GM, it removesa potential barrier and encourages people to give it a go.

I like the roles on name tags as well. Probably dont need player - we are all them, but a First time or GM entrant is a great conversation starter. As a first timer I get to find out more about them, or not feel bad that I have forgotten them. As for a GM its a great way for em to know that they are running a game and I can keep an eye out for it. Because If I have just met you, like your stuff, Its gandy to know I could enjoy your company more by sitting in one of your games.

If you think first time or GM entrant is a name and shame (as implied by Luke) then a symbol discreetly on the badge is a way to mitigate it.

I would dearly love a years of attendance on the badge like they have at some cons. Buit I understand that for some of us there just may not be room Wink
Adrexia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenni wrote:
I am also a fan of the "First Kapcon" note on the badges, it meant like Steph, I didn't just assume it was someone I had met before and forgotten the name of.

As someone who is terrible with names, I appreciated knowing I should introduce myself Smile

If you wanted to make it fair you could put the number of times you are on record as attending Kapcon for everyone. Wink

I don't know how I feel about it. It seems useful, but some people might not want to go around with a badge that identifies them as a noob. Giving people the option might be the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Adrexia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants wrote:

If you think first time or GM entrant is a name and shame (as implied by Luke) then a symbol discreetly on the badge is a way to mitigate it.

I would dearly love a years of attendance on the badge like they have at some cons. Buit I understand that for some of us there just may not be room Wink

Damn not quick enough. Very Happy

I thought of the symbol idea too, but then thought that either everyone would know it or it would be another dividing factor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to number of years attended, I think it should be asked if it is cool for an attendee to communicate that or Kapcon? If just the former, then its best left for the attendee to do it (write it in red crayon Smile ).
housemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants wrote:

We're role-players, so surely we should be doing it in levels rather than years. So new people would be 1st level and Nick Pitt would be 14th or something. And every role-player loves to level up, so that would be a motivation to attend more Kapcons. Can't see it taking up too much space on the badge either.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luke. Cons already tend to feel quite clique-y to newcomers and adding another marker that might add to that feeling isn't likely to be helpful in terms of reducing that clique-y-ness.

If people need help from experienced people, the administrative volunteers are clearly labeled as such, right?
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
I agree with Luke. Cons already tend to feel quite clique-y to newcomers and adding another marker that might add to that feeling isn't likely to be helpful in terms of reducing that clique-y-ness.

If people need help from experienced people, the administrative volunteers are clearly labeled as such, right?

And here I was about to suggest that we have "Us" on the name badges for anyone with more than 10 Kapcons under their belt and "Them" for everyone else Very Happy
k2vsate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenni wrote:

You could also extend this to include things like 'buckets of dice organizer' or whatever con floats your boat, that would be something useful that I would like to see appear. I also like the online handles, even if they are small in teh corner, I mean how will I be able to correctly identify hamish/anarchangler without his online handle!
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the discount for GM's is fair compensation for taking the time to run a game for our enjoyment.

I don't.

I spent (conservatively) about 20-25 hours preparing my game. Last year it was more like 70-80, but that included SDC stuff. The discount I got was immaterial compared to the amount of time and effort spent.

Even if you look just at the 3 hours of GMing a single game, that's below minimum wage.

*shrug* I think that any idea that GMs are special is a problem, because it implicitly creates a barrier. "I am not special"

But, I can see I'm in the tiny minority, so let's just forget the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I spent (conservatively) about 20-25 hours preparing my game. Last year it was more like 70-80, but that included SDC stuff. The discount I got was immaterial compared to the amount of time and effort spent.

I think you would be on the extreme end of the spectrum. If I was confident that all GMs were there, then I would be more inclined to agree. However, for a GM that could go either way (which a new GM is more likely to be) then the price drop could be significant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: