NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Badges and online IDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
*shrug* I think that any idea that GMs are special is a problem, because it implicitly creates a barrier. "I am not special"

To which the response is "so run a game and become special".

KapCon depends on its GMs. While the discount is nowhere near compensation for the effort they put in to running the games, its a small token, and one which seems to encourage some people (or at least makes them feel appreciated).
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Anarchangel wrote:
I agree with Luke. Cons already tend to feel quite clique-y to newcomers and adding another marker that might add to that feeling isn't likely to be helpful in terms of reducing that clique-y-ness.

If people need help from experienced people, the administrative volunteers are clearly labeled as such, right?

And here I was about to suggest that we have "Us" on the name badges for anyone with more than 10 Kapcons under their belt and "Them" for everyone else Very Happy

I was thinking about this before you posted it today Luke, and I thought it would be SUPER kool to get permanent badges (like scout badges) for various things that you could sew on your gaming/dice bag, of Gaming shirt etc... I was thinking like this

1st Year Kapcon Goer
5th year Kapcon Goer
10th year Kapcon Goer
etc etc

The best thing about such thing is its also free future advertising...

Hell, Id pay extra just to have these... but Im a badge weener..

Glock-9mm (Eating cookies since 3 minutes ago!)
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:
I was thinking about this before you posted it today Luke, and I thought it would be SUPER kool to get permanent badges (like scout badges) for various things that you could sew on your gaming/dice bag, of Gaming shirt etc... I was thinking like this

1st Year Kapcon Goer
5th year Kapcon Goer
10th year Kapcon Goer
etc etc

Hell, Id pay extra just to have these... but Im a badge weener..

Feel free to make some for yourself and your friends, but I don't think the con will be doing this.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Quote:
I think the discount for GM's is fair compensation for taking the time to run a game for our enjoyment.

I don't.

I'm not talking "If you charged your time out at consulting rates by the hour" - I'm not sure where that came from.

I just mean that the person is contributing to the event happening successfully, so it's fair they pay a bit less.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:

I am honestly not sure how appealing a person running around saying "10th year Kapcon Goer" actually is.
Confusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not likely to be swayed either way by the discount, because I'm already paying for my airfare, and that completely overshadows everything else. So I'd say that it could stay or go for me.
But on the other hand, with Buckets of Dice, which I don't have to travel for, the GM discount has never been an incentive either, and I've actually scored a GM discount for the last couple of years.
I guess I can see how someone might be scared off by it, conceptually, but I find trying to run something good enough for my fellow gamers scary enough as is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Glock-9mm wrote:

I am honestly not sure how appealing a person running around saying "10th year Kapcon Goer" actually is.

Im just imagining people with scout blankets now... Illusion broken, Back to Tattoo plans for the year
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
I'm not likely to be swayed either way by the discount

I guess I can see how someone might be scared off by it, conceptually, but I find trying to run something good enough for my fellow gamers scary enough as is.

Regarding the first bit, me too - I'd happily pay significantly more to get into Kapcon, whether I am running a game or not.

I still don't understand where the idea that a GM discount might put people off running a game comes from (aside from Mash asserting that it could).
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is also pay whatever, Its not a concern to me... But im also not a student or a 15 year old.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:
Is also pay whatever, Its not a concern to me... But im also not a student or a 15 year old.

That's pretty much what it comes down to. When I was a student, that discount was a pretty big deal (Yes, you can go to the con AND have lunch!).
Confusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Regarding the first bit, me too - I'd happily pay significantly more to get into Kapcon, whether I am running a game or not.

I still don't understand where the idea that a GM discount might put people off running a game comes from (aside from Mash asserting that it could).

Uhm. I'm not sure I can actually afford to pay much more for Kapcon. Or rather, I can, but I'd be put off by it. Anything past about $30 for a weekend before airfare and I have to do -serious- budgeting. (And for cons in general, while I love them, paying more than $30 for the weekend would probably put me off for something that doesn't come with food/accommodation. It's yet another reason why Uhmming and ahhing over Chimera is taking me so long.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
Uhm. I'm not sure I can actually afford to pay much more for Kapcon. Or rather, I can, but I'd be put off by it. Anything past about $30 for a weekend before airfare and I have to do -serious- budgeting. (And for cons in general, while I love them, paying more than $30 for the weekend would probably put me off for something that doesn't come with food/accommodation. It's yet another reason why Uhmming and ahhing over Chimera is taking me so long.)
Right now, plane tickets are pretty cheap, if that would make a difference. There are usually a group of Wellingtonians that travel together and share taxis at the other end, as well, which saves on costs.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
Uhm. I'm not sure I can actually afford to pay much more for Kapcon. Or rather, I can, but I'd be put off by it.

Oh, sure. I have enough disposable income for it, but I know that not everyone's in the same boat.

But if a little more to get in would make it hard for you to attend, then presumably a discount of the same amount makes it easier? You were saying that it didn't matter earlier, but if your budget for the weekend is that tight, surely any discount is going to make a difference?

Last edited by MikeSands on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:

We worked really hard to get prices down precisely because of those sorts of concerns; we want the con to be cheap and accessible. However, a decade of inflation has finally caught up with us, so a modest price rise is likely. We're not remotely thinking of going back to the bad old days when it was $50 to go to the con, but we may be looking at an extra $5 (and then hopefuly we can leave it for another decade)
Confusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie wrote:
Confusion wrote:
Right now, plane tickets are pretty cheap, if that would make a difference. There are usually a group of Wellingtonians that travel together and share taxis at the other end, as well, which saves on costs.

Plane tickets to Chimera are up at $140 for the weekend from Christchurch atm (70 each way), unless there's a better place to hunt for them than Grabaseat (I admit to not having looked extensively for cheap tickets, but I did check the moment I got home from Kapcon how much it was to Auckland for Chimera). Unless there's a special, I don't think it usually dips much below 70 each way Chch -> Auckland

My Kapcon airfare cost me $80 this year, and I spent about another $250 while in town. So no, the convention doesn't directly forbid my attendance by raising by 5-10 dollars. But if I have to start looking at a $50 admission to Kapcon price, and a $120 in airfare ($60 each way is the official rate of tickets from Air NZ right this moment), it all stacks up, yeah?

But when Mike says he can afford significantly more, maybe he means he's happy spending $80 for the con, which is sweet for him, but not so sweet for someone not in the workforce, since it's not really all that cheap being in a foreign city for a few days, and it's not that much fun if you're living on a shoestring for the duration of a trip because you spent all of your money on travel and entry. (For the record, I spent all of my money on food and booze, and books.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: