NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Badges and online IDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:
Quote:
I think the discount for GM's is fair compensation for taking the time to run a game for our enjoyment.

I don't.

I'm not talking "If you charged your time out at consulting rates by the hour" - I'm not sure where that came from.

I just mean that the person is contributing to the event happening successfully, so it's fair they pay a bit less.

I agree. The point is that it is a fair to offer a discount, not that it is market rates. I dont think anyone would consider that given the already cheap price of the con.
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the subject of online handles - at Chimera they (we) have used them almost since the beginning, in addition to the person's real name. It's incredibly helpful in identifying people online post-con.
I think the organisers did it themselves through their knowledge of people on Diatribe (the NZlarps forums), because I don't remember ever writing mine down myself, but adding an extra field for it on the reg form would be a good way to handle it - people can choose whether or not to identify thmselves that way, but I imagine most poeple won't have a problem with it.

Daphne
(ETA my real name, since few people in Wgtn would know me by my online handle Very Happy)

Last edited by no rectangulars on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Vanya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really cool, since I can't recognize most of the cool people I've met at Kapcon on the forums.
Anna K

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we had so many people who'd only met each other on the forum at Chimera, we put everyone's Diatribe handles on the badge. We had exactly one complaint (from a gentleman who is a self-confessed troll) and everyone else loved it.

We also put descriptors on our badges - "Chimera Organising Team", "Catering Team", "Flagship Writer", "<Your Game Title Here> GM" and "Player" (we also have a few special ones - "Photoninja" springs to mind)

The reason we do it so people can identify people they can approach for things. We identify game GMs so that if you need to ask a question of your GM for Saturday afternoon, it's easier to spot them then try to remember the name of the GM, and then track them down.

We haven't had any negative feedback on this.

Not saying this is how Kapcon should do things, just saying this is how we've done things and we haven't yet had rioting in the streets Smile
Karen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

I am not sure that the discount makes a difference to anyone, except to create a perceived "special status" viz reduced fees, for GMs. I think that removing the discount would psychologically remove a barrier to GMing.

Just a theory.

The discount makes me feel less guilty about going for coffee/buying lunch and pizza... I budgeted $50 (+ petrol) for the weekend and just scraped in. I think whether a discount makes a difference depends on your circumstances... for me, every little bit does help!
Karen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:

You could default in First Name and Last Name separated by a space. But if someone wants a name badge that says Dr BunnyHops then I don't see why not.

Despite not wanting it on my OWN name badge, this might piss me off somewhat!
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen wrote:
The discount makes me feel less guilty about going for coffee/buying lunch and pizza... I budgeted $50 (+ petrol) for the weekend and just scraped in. I think whether a discount makes a difference depends on your circumstances... for me, every little bit does help!

The discount is about potential benefit. If you don't care then it doesn't matter. If you do, it does. I guess the discussion began with whether there was a potential detriment in some way. It's an interesting point and I actually think there is something to it. I am pretty confident that it would scare off more GMs that it would attract though.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

The discount is about potential benefit. If you don't care then it doesn't matter. If you do, it does. I guess the discussion began with whether there was a potential detriment in some way. It's an interesting point and I actually think there is something to it. I am pretty confident that it would scare off more GMs that it would attract though.

You mean, if there was no discount?

Cheers
Grant
amphigori

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a second-time GM it wasn't the promise of a discount that brought me back. It was Idiot's overwhelming encouragement and support + the support and enthusiasm of the people who played in my game and the experienced GMs who gave me advice.

That being said, when I had to shell out $20 on printing for my game this year the first thing I thought of was that my discounted entry fee helped offset some of that cost and made me feel a bit better about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: