NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Badges and online IDs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
But when Mike says he can afford significantly more, maybe he means he's happy spending $80 for the con, which is sweet for him, but not so sweet for someone not in the workforce

Yes, I was never claiming that anyone else should also be happy to spend more. Or that the convention should cost more.

I'm just talking about me, and how the discount is irrelevant from my perspective. Mainly because I will run games regardless, and secondarily because of the money.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
I'm just talking about me, and how the discount is irrelevant from my perspective. Mainly because I will run games regardless, and secondarily because of the money.

I am sure the same applies for a good chunk of the established GMs. Howevr, the real focus is on potential new GMs and wider concepts of that inform what Kapcon should be charging.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure how this line of discussion started any more.

On topic: How about the badge has your name and whatever else is standard, and then a free-form area for anything you want.

So, people with online nicknames can put that, and I might put "Games on Demand Happiness Commissar" and Bryan can put "Aiming to kill more than 125 people this year" and so on.

(Edited to correct embarrassing name/memory brainfart)

Last edited by MikeSands on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
On topic: How about the badge has your name and whatever else is standard, and then a free-form area for anything you want.

So, people with online nicknames can put that, and I might put "Games on Demand Happiness Commissar" and Barry can put "Aiming to kill more than 125 people this year" and so on.

Admin should have a batch of red crayons on hand for the more creative attendees Very Happy
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Admin should have a batch of red crayons on hand for the more creative attendees Very Happy

Well, I was thinking of having it on the registration webpage and printed onto the card, but there's no reason not to do both!
itowlson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
How about the badge has your name and whatever else is standard, and then a free-form area for anything you want. So, people with online nicknames can put that, and I might put "Games on Demand Happiness Commissar" and Barry can put "Aiming to kill more than 125 people this year" and so on.

The purpose of suggesting the online ID is to address the "do I know this person from NZRaG" / "how do I recognise this person on NZRaG in the post-con threads" problem. It's not intended as a medium of self-expression. It's intended to communicate *identity* (for those who want to do so), just like the real name.

Yes, people with online nicknames *might* put them if offered a free text area. But if the field on the registration form is captioned "Badge text" rather than "Online nickname," they won't. And I'll be back to going, "Gosh, I wonder if that was the guy I played in Round X with."
icehawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tog42 wrote:
Glock-9mm wrote:
I think the "policy" should just be, (Use the information from the Registration, Irrespective what the admins of Kapcon think). That way if there is an issue you can always say "Not my fault you can't spell your own name".

The purpose of the name badges is to identify you to everyone else at the table. This is important for game scoring and player nominations.

I'm with Glock: just say
"What do you want on your name-badge (must be unique)"?

You could default in First Name and Last Name separated by a space. But if someone wants a name badge that says Dr BunnyHops then I don't see why not.
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
I'm not even sure how this line of discussion started any more.

So, people with online nicknames can put that, and I might put "Games on Demand Happiness Commissar" and Barry can put "Aiming to kill more than 125 people this year" and so on.

I hope you dont think my real name is Barry... lol
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:

Barry von Darkraven
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Glock-9mm wrote:

Barry von Darkraven

Damn you meddling kids... * Fist Shake * if you hadnt have been so Lax Id have got away with it!
thad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recall if this has been discussed before, but if money is an issue, perhaps the idea of some kind of... sponsorship isn't the right word, but basically someone else covering the cost of attendance. (Note: not travel or accommodation or anything, just the attendance.)

If people are seeing the entrance fee as something to be careful in budgetting, maybe they could apply for this ... scholarship?

(This would be other people covering a number of attendances, not the Kapcon committee.)
Highwayman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that Giffy made badges one year, I think it was for KapConXV?

Perhaps we could have a merchandising section of the website, with custom knick-knacks. It would be more organisation time though.

As for the prices, I have to say that I'm kinda stuck in a '90's mentality, in that I prefer playing to GMing, and to me offering a small discount is like coming up to me and saying "Go on, it would be very nice of you to GM for us". $5 is probably fine.

I can see what Mash is saying about it being a psychological barrier, the feeling can become "I have to be really good to earn the discount, I might as well just pay the extra and play". I don't feel it myself, but it might be worth sending out a survey to first timers, or people who have only ever played, to see how widespread the feeling might be.

I don't know who might sponsor us, perhaps if we become an incorporated society (which involves AGM's and formally voted committee members) and ask for grants on a "It gets kinds off the street" kinda way. Or possibly we could talk to the Chamber of commerce and see if they like KapCon bringing in players form around NZ/the world.

Interesting stuff to think about.

Cheers
Grant
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:

:shrug: names, memory...
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:
I don't know who might sponsor us, perhaps if we become an incorporated society (which involves AGM's and formally voted committee members) and ask for grants on a "It gets kinds off the street" kinda way. Or possibly we could talk to the Chamber of commerce and see if they like KapCon bringing in players form around NZ/the world.

We already receive sponsorship: those prizes weren't paid for by your entry fees, they were provided by generous gaming companies and local stores (who, we should add, we love for being so generous). And that's the only real sponsorship we need or want.
thad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sponsorship wasn't quite the word I was looking for. And I was thinking of something more direct.

Basically, "I give Kapcon $100 to cover entrance fees for 5 other people." And so 5 people, if they can get here but are having trouble with the fee, can now apply for one of those free entrances.
(By application, this can be nothing more than someone writing in saying "I'm having trouble, guv, please?") Or could be used to target getting young people in ("Come along and give it a go, for free!")

I've seen other conventions do this. Just an idea. Kapcon might not be the huge cost that other cons are so it might not be worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: