NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SDC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: SDC Reply with quote

I just wanted to put in a quick plug for the SDC.

1. SDC entries are available to run at any gaming convention.

There are a lot of very good scenarios in there. They cover a range of styles and genres. There is a game in there which you can run, no matter what your interest or level of experience.

2. Now is the time to write your SDC entry

While it was originally intended to be cold competition with un-run entries, a far more realistic thing to do is write up the game you have just run.

My first entry was Spirit of the Tentacle, and was literally just typing out the notes I'd made to run the game for KapCon. I came 2nd. I am about to start writing up The Salt Bond, and will be offering to re-run it once that's done for those who are interested.

Take your game from KapCon, write it down, send it off.

3. Entering the SDC will help you run games better

The process of writing down my games helped enormously in making my GMing experiences less stressful and more successful. Tidying up SotT helped clarify the details of the scenario for me, helped me understand what worked and what didn't, and helped me understand what I had brought to the scenario beyond its core structure.

Arriving at KapCon with the pre-written A World Of Possibilities was the least stressful GMing experience I've ever had, because I had used the experience of writing down SotT to improve and clarify. I got best single session with a perfect score and there was virtually nothing in the overall points difference for winning best GM (hat tip to Dan and Jackie, who won last year and this year).

4. It is realistic to win the competition

The points separation between the top half of the field was very small. I won, but it could easily have been different. If you have a scenario that runs well, with interesting characters, and it is well proofed and constructed, you can win this competition.

5. You are not alone

There are numerous people in Wellington and surrounding places very keen to read and/or play-test your scenario and offer great feedback. My three entries have been enormously improved by the generosity of people on NZRaG and that I have met through the different conventions.

Other people are writing their games too, and will be willing to bounce around ideas. Bouncing ideas off Sophie this time last year helped me believe that The Hand That Feeds was a viable game concept.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reverse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd like to say these scenarios are well loved by those of us on the internet looking for one-shots to run! I've run half a dozen different games from the Kapcon SDC site, including Spirit of the Tentacle, and the Millers Children at least 4 times now.

Even the games I have no interest in directly running often set off some great ideas or adoptions of them.

Those too poor to come to Kapcon appreciate them!
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always very keen for AAR of my stuff. How did Spirit of the Tentacle go?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverse wrote:
And I'd like to say these scenarios are well loved by those of us on the internet looking for one-shots to run! I've run half a dozen different games from the Kapcon SDC site, including Spirit of the Tentacle, and the Millers Children at least 4 times now.

Even the games I have no interest in directly running often set off some great ideas or adoptions of them.

Those too poor to come to Kapcon appreciate them!

Like!
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will the 2011 entrys be up?

I am rather keen to have a read of this years entries Smile
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:
When will the 2011 entrys be up?

I'll see what I can do.

Update: Scenario list flicked to Frank, along with those of the scenariosn which had explicitly given permission. Have emailed all the other authors to seek such permission (most had already implictly given it, but we like to be very, very sure).
AndyM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question about the SDC entry rules, if someone would be keen to answer. I understand the need for judging to be fair to all parties, which is why names of authors are removed from scenarios before judging.

However, where does this leave scenarios that have been either playtested in the Wellington RPG community or run at previous Kapcons? Does that mean that they are ineligible or anything?
http://rpgwtf.blogspot.com/
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyM wrote:
Just a question about the SDC entry rules, if someone would be keen to answer. I understand the need for judging to be fair to all parties, which is why names of authors are removed from scenarios before judging.

However, where does this leave scenarios that have been either playtested in the Wellington RPG community or run at previous Kapcons? Does that mean that they are ineligible or anything?

Not at all. We just all politely pretend that the judge doesn't read the internet.

(The rules are ten years old, from a different era when we were far less connected. we should probably update them sometime)
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can one find the scenarios? DO you have to ask permission to run them, or is it pre-granted?
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no rectangulars wrote:
Where can one find the scenarios? DO you have to ask permission to run them, or is it pre-granted?

http://sdc.rpg.net.nz/

...and

SDC Website wrote:
They are free to download for personal use, and permission is given to print off character sheets and handouts as needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I'm always very keen for AAR of my stuff. How did Spirit of the Tentacle go?

AAR? Something-something Report? *Acronym Challenged*

Spirit of the Tentacle - my first time running a FATE game, period, which probably didn't help, but we got quite lost. The characters have a huge number of Aspects, many of which aren't particularly intuitive, and the players struggled to grasp what many of them actually meant about the characters. The set-up was also a little weak. There's no particular reason for half the characters to even be on the scene, so I threw something together about them being the Guardians of Midnight, essentially Pulp Superhero Mythos Fighters.

That said, we had great fun playing it. The players latched on to a core 3 or 4 Aspects of each character, and 90% of the compels and invokes were on them. The best part was getting into Dr Tenebrous' party. The 3 Fisted Midget played distraction by bribing the maitre'de, then making his grand entrance to spotlights, dry ice, and an announcer running through all the accomplishments of "The Tiny Terror, the Master of Disaster, The Furious Fists of Furious Fury" (etc, etc, etc) while the rest of the PCs actually did something useful.

Everybody immediately got the point of the phony pseudo-science concept, with the Ideas Man whipping up a Sonic Dimensional De-amplifier which reset the Baby Tentacle (and attached Mama) to it's own dimension. The downside? It only had a range of a few centimeters, leading to a conclusion where the Midget rode the Baby Tentacle around the lake, rodeo style, then up and through the portal before the Bulldog lassoed him out.

To run it again, I'd pretty much rewrite the characters from scratch - give them half the aspects, and more description on what each Aspect means. I'd also change the damage rules in Spirit of the Century, but I've run a lot of FATE since then, and that's really got little to do with the scenario.

-------

The Miller Children, if the author reads the board, remains the best idea-starting scenario I've ever found online - I've added two characters to bring the total up to 6, and run it 4 times using the Dread (jenga tower) system. It's been a blast each and every time, and players routinely freak when the Big Bad makes his appearance. Bravo!
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Action Report. Smile Thanks for it! Very cool. Very Happy

Comments are fair, though for Pulps, like D&D, character "cohesion" and "purpose" seems like something assumed in the DNA of the game rather than something you need to devote much thought to. Though I agree, probably if I were writing the scenario again that's something that could be usefully tightened. People have also complained that the Green Gargoyle doesn't have a lot to do, which is contra to my main experiences running the game.

Totally agree about the aspects - players need a good helping hand as the adventure goes along understanding and using some of the less obvious ones. I think in later versions of FATE games they've cut back the aspects dramatically, and that seems like a good decision.

Also agree about the damage, though the way I ran the game it never really became an issue.

The Three Fisted Midget is undoubtedly the most fun convention character I've [in partnership with housemonkey] ever written, glad to hear this is a universal experience. Very Happy

Last edited by Mashugenah on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
tog42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
The Three Fisted Midget is undoubtedly the most fun convention character I've ever written, glad to hear this is a universal experience. Very Happy

Ah, the Three Fisted Midget. Fond memories.

*Bad Mexican accent* "Eh muchacho, why don't you pick on someone my size?!" Very Happy
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still chuckle at the "sucker punch". Smile Poor Baby Tentacle never stood a chance.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

Totally agree about the aspects - players need a good helping hand as the adventure goes along understanding and using some of the less obvious ones. I think in later versions of FATE games they've cut back the aspects dramatically, and that seems like a good decision.

Yeah, this is a problem commonly cited by FATE newbies in my experience. It really slows chargen too!

Dresden Files uses 7 Aspects, 5 generated much like those in SotC plus 2 much more focused (High Concept and Trouble).
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: