NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand Plans for LARPing.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Confusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Grand Plans for LARPing. Reply with quote

This thread is here as another version of this thread over at Diatribe. I'll try to remember to crosspost relevant things back and forth:
http://www.diatribe.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

So, this is going to be a place holder note. But, I'm going to be looking at revitalizing the Chch LARP scene.
My current intention is to, under the banner of SAGA:
*Promote LARPing as a hobby.
To do this I intend to:
*Assemble a list of interested parties from Christchurch and nearby environs. (Initially from the University, but also promote via Comics Compulsion if they are amenable.)
*Run LARPs regularly (once per month, or every couple of months), with a mind to games that don't require heavy costuming initially. To do this, I will be sourcing pre-written scenarios, as I need to keep my workload as a facilitator down.

IDIOT:
LARP is sold by word of mouth, so the best way to build a larp community is to run games. Pick something with a bit of flexibility (e.g. Much Ado About Something, stick up some ads, and see who bites. Set up a Google group at the same time for local notifications and get people talking. Hopefully it won't take long before they're talking about running stuff. And obviously, point people here and at NZRaG so they can see what else is out there.

Games with low costume requirements
* any of the modern Shifting Forest stuff (all 8 players, unfortunately)
* Battlestar Galactica: The Black Corridor (BSG civillian clothes are just ours, twisted a bit; can be run in a flat)
* But Nobody Loses an Eye (I'm sure people can do kids)
* Down and Out in Middenburg (fantasy beggars, so wear a sack or old SCA clothing)
* Prayers on a Porcelain Altar (students) (Possibly not for new people)
* A Serpent of Ash (modern people) (Possibly not for new people)

I'd initially aim for a game a term, rather than one a month, to prevent burnout.

Regular games and getting people talking should hopefully start a nice positive feedback cycle and help build things even more.

ANNA:
I've found Freeform Games to be amazing - they're designed for people who have never larped. nzLARPS owns the scripts to A Dead Man's Chest, Happy Birthday RJ and Curse of the Pharaoh. The latter two are less costume intensive than the first one, but who doesn't like dressing up like a pirate? The games are for 12-16/11-15/6-9 people respectively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thorog the Slasher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to use the website and Chch-gamers list for promotions and the like. Also, if you take photos we can upload them to the SAGA flickr group and put them on the website for all to see. Finally, SAGA has the facebook page that'll put the notice in peoples' faces.

Don't forget to email Melina and get an ad in the next OOC - this'll let people know about it at clubs day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Confusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorog the Slasher wrote:
Feel free to use the website and Chch-gamers list for promotions and the like. Also, if you take photos we can upload them to the SAGA flickr group and put them on the website for all to see. Finally, SAGA has the facebook page that'll put the notice in peoples' faces.

Don't forget to email Melina and get an ad in the next OOC - this'll let people know about it at clubs day.

Yeah, all things I was planning on doing just as a matter of course, but cheers for putting them in a succinct place as a reminder for me.
If I thought it'd get the numbers, I'd probably just offer to run Dead Man's Chest, which was fun when I played in it at Kapcon, because as Anna said, who doesn't like dressing up as a pirate?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thorog the Slasher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I've softened up the club enough with my hippie narrative games that they'll take to semi-regular LARPs occuring in their midst Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> SAGA All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: