NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KapCon larp organiser guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Confusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
However there were posts on these boards about set up, so the request for help was out there.

Just went and checked, and indeed those were there. Missed them during the whole foreign city, no computer of my own period. Damn. Emails several days out, before I head to Wellington for the event, are things I can respond to a lot better than stuff on NZRAG (Also that way I structure my time better, knowing that I'll be going to do setup stuff on Friday means I work other things around it.)

I really appreciate the awesome set dressing you guys did, and I helped pack it down, so I know it must've taken -forever- to get all of that stuff up. So this is meant as a "please help me help you" request rather than anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
icehawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
As a matter of interest, would you see this being resolved if the LARP timetable was communicated in advance and established over a few years? That is people became aware with the idea of registering for the LARP early to meet the LARP's specific demands.

Um, personally I can sometimes find it a little difficult to know more than a month or so in advance whether I'll be able to make it to Kapcon. Babysitting both kids for a whole weekend is a big ask, even of the grandparents, and to complicate life further I have work commitments that take me out of town.

This year that left me not getting a place in the LARP. Make it that an annual feature of how Kapcon works and I'll be a bit miffed. If I really, really,really cared I'd make it work. But some people's lives just aren't suited to committing that far in advance for a weekend of gaming.

OTOH, I never even considered enrolling in the LARP on the off-chance and then withdrawing later. I would have thought that quite rude.

(Before anyone take umbrage at me calling them rude: I'm sure some of those who enrolled and didn't make it were victims of circumstance).
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
sophmelc wrote:
However there were posts on these boards about set up, so the request for help was out there.

Just went and checked, and indeed those were there. Missed them during the whole foreign city, no computer of my own period. Damn. Emails several days out, before I head to Wellington for the event, are things I can respond to a lot better than stuff on NZRAG (Also that way I structure my time better, knowing that I'll be going to do setup stuff on Friday means I work other things around it.)

I really appreciate the awesome set dressing you guys did, and I helped pack it down, so I know it must've taken -forever- to get all of that stuff up. So this is meant as a "please help me help you" request rather than anything else.

Yep that's a very good point. NZRag seems to be used as the primary way to communicate things about the Con, but I'm wondering if perhaps it has out grown this forum. Direct emails were used this year to contact the GMs, and maybe the same could be done next year to solicit help in setting up?

Also your help breaking everything down was appreciated! I was probably too tired at the time to say it Very Happy

Blog - Mostly Geek
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
Yep that's a very good point. NZRag seems to be used as the primary way to communicate things about the Con, but I'm wondering if perhaps it has out grown this forum. Direct emails were used this year to contact the GMs, and maybe the same could be done next year to solicit help in setting up?

We spam GMs and players every year. This year we also spammed all pre-registered people with info on the precon drinks and various other things; we can add a note about larp setup to that final notice and see if it works.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: KapCon larp organiser guide Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:

Something to start:

Key KapCon requirements and constraints
* A theatre-style larp, for (X) people, lasting 2.5 - 3 hours (next year's value of X is currently a subject of debate)
* Budget: currently $500, may be changed
* Space: to fit somewhere in the space we have available at our venue, currently WHS.

Ok, for those interested in numbers, here they are:
We had 66 characters.
32 male characters as written (but 2 of those ended up being played by women, one as a man and one as a woman)
27 female characters (all played by women)
7 characters that could be either (I'm not sure on the break down of those, as I didn't note it down.)

We had 11 people pull out, and one person left on the waiting list. It is worth mentioning that three of the people who did get parts at the last minute weren't on the waiting list, but were near by when we discovered a part had become free.

So all up if we'd had 75 characters we would have been fully subscribed, but then we may have had holes on the night. It's hard to say, especially as one person who pulled out never even told us they wouldn't be coming (as far as I'm aware).

So all told I think it's a bit soon to talk about 100 person LARPs at KapCon. However 75 - 80 players looks to be fine.

edit: To remove a stray tag.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
No - because signing up for the LARP isn't signing up for Kapcon. People are just reserving a spot in one game when they do the questionnaire, they often aren't booking flights, arranging for a place to stay, offering to run a game etc.

Preregistration is equally easy to withdraw from though.
Dale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If so, I imagine there'd be statistics to support that.

In either event, future LARP teams will have to find a balance between providing the full casting treatment to a bigger cast, Kapcon registration opening time, and the holidays.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
Quote:

If so, I imagine there'd be statistics to support that.

We didn't have many people withdraw from Sanctuary. There were a couple that gave good reasons, but nothing of any scale. I don't remember when we opened registrations though and it could have been a little later in the year. If people are scared they won't get characters I can see a lot of them signing up even if they aren't yet 100% committed to Kapcon. That would lead to a bunch of them dropping out when they realize they can't make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
We didn't have many people withdraw from Sanctuary. There were a couple that gave good reasons, but nothing of any scale.
I think there was at least one no show with no reason from what I can vaguely remember. Certainly I can remember doing some last minute recruiting on the Saturday and making a point of bringing some spare costumes because I didn't want people in mufti. In a way, there's something to be said for having a waiting list - at least you don't have to worry about holes in your game. (Except from what Sophie said, even then they had some last minute gaps to fill.)
Adrexia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie wrote:
I think there was at least one no show with no reason from what I can vaguely remember. Certainly I can remember doing some last minute recruiting on the Saturday and making a point of bringing some spare costumes because I didn't want people in mufti. In a way, there's something to be said for having a waiting list - at least you don't have to worry about holes in your game. (Except from what Sophie said, even then they had some last minute gaps to fill.)

Yeah, Bruno accidentally slept through it...

Waiting lists only really work for the organisers up until the time people make other plans though. As much as I wanted to play in the Larp, if I were on a waiting list come Saturday I would have been doing something else instead.

But I do agree. From the Larp organisers perspective having too many people wanting to play isn't a bad problem to have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Highwayman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I humbly suggest that it might help LARP organisers if there is someone on the LARP committee who is just there as an Admin-monkey. Someone to email characters out, keep a track of how many characters are in use etc.

I know it would have helped us to have an extra person with the Mafia LARP.

Cheers
Grant
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone like a secretary, perhaps?

I've never seen the orgaisational side of Kapcon, so this may seem like an ignorant question - but why can't the registration be moved earlier in the year? If game-dibbsing for rounds 1&2 is done on a 'make the most people happiest' basis, rather than 'first come, first served' then late registration shouldn't penalise anyone (within reason, of course - registering 2 days beforehand probably would, cos people have to arrange the player lists).
Some people may not be able to commit so early, true - but there are also people (especially out-of-towners, a growing contingent) who would like to know as early as possible to arrange flights, leave etc.
Why not have con registration open at the same time as larp registration.

As an aside, speaking from the perspective of a larp writer (A Town Called Refuge, at last Chimera) - it seems to be the latecomers who are most flakey. People who sign up a few days or weeks before, and then never show up. People who sign up early and pull out early are a lot easier to deal with in terms of casting.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no rectangulars wrote:

That's the ticket

Quote:
why can't the registration be moved earlier in the year?

I think the main reason is that Malcolm and others like to have a few options available when registration starts, and GM's are very very slack. I know that I only registered in January for the two games that I was prepared to run.

Cheers
Grant
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question adequately answered by Idiot's thread Smile
icehawk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:

no rectangulars wrote:

Highwayman wrote:
May I humbly suggest that it might help LARP organisers if there is someone on the LARP committee who is just there as an Admin-monkey. Someone to email characters out, keep a track of how many characters are in use etc.

That's the ticket

It seems like you're asking why the LARP organisers don't have a person to do all the not-fun bits of organising the LARP.

And I think the answer is "Because it's not fun".

Of course, any shared project can be fun if you're doing it with friends. So maybe I'm wrong. But I think usually it'd be very hard to find a volunteer for that role.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: