NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Con's in General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Confusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Con's in General Reply with quote

Oh wise elders of gaming,
At how many people do you think it becomes best to run a con with an actual give first and second picks to facilitators, they assign you a game to play in, rather than the kind of first-in first-served selection via whiteboard that has traditionally happened at Buckets? (I've never been to other cons, so I don't know what they do).
Are there other ways what ways do people like? What ways do people hate? Hmm?
I know fro a fact that every buckets has mad scrambles by people desperate to get into prestige GM games, it seems like there ought to be some way fairer than "first to the whiteboard signs up them and their friends."
Which has the incidental point of meaning you get packs of gamers at Buckets, in a way that you don't see so much at Kapcon (except possibly with GoD).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really only run Fright Night, which is a different kettle of fish from most. But what I did the two years I ran it was to wait until the con was completely filled and only then allocate people into games on a "maximum happiness" basis, trying to ensure that as many people got as many of their first and second picks as possible. I was able to arrange it both years so that everyone got at least one first pick, and actually only a couple of people didn't get both first picks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the Kapcon admins keep track of who's gotten how many first picks, and bump people who got their second best choices up in priority for the next round.

Quote:
At how many people do you think it becomes best to run a con with an actual give first and second picks to facilitators,
I dunno, but I expect at the point where people are vocal about their dissatisfaction at missing out. Especially dissatisfied new people, because it sucks feeling like you have to 'know' the setup in order to have a good time.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have that, which is why we switched to a preferential system. That, and games wouldn't fit on the whiteboard anymore.

As for other methods, some cons book the entire con on a "first come, first served" basis, while some offer X games, and ensure each player plays in each one. The latter more suits a tournament than a gaming orgy though.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapcon flipped over from that system to the current one somewhere around 60 people. To be honest, I think it could be done earlier but it didn't cause many issues with up to 50 attendees.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Kapcon flipped over from that system to the current one somewhere around 60 people. To be honest, I think it could be done earlier but it didn't cause many issues with up to 50 attendees.

Buckets was using the whiteboard system when it had c. 80 attendees. Well actually, they were using printed off bits of paper with game names and spots to write your name in, but pretty much the same. I never found it to be a problem, but I wasn't all that picky at the time.

Otago, with a smaller number, used to let people sign up in order each turn. If you were low on the list the first time, you were high on the list the next time. I doubt that works with more than 30 people though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Con's in General Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
Oh wise elders of gaming,
At how many people do you think it becomes best to run a con with an actual give first and second picks to facilitators, they assign you a game to play in, rather than the kind of first-in first-served selection via whiteboard that has traditionally happened at Buckets? (I've never been to other cons, so I don't know what they do).

At the LA Strategicons, there is online registration for 2/3 of available slots, then paper sign up (as with Buckets) for the remaining 1/3. There are also a couple of slots on the sign up sheet for each game for alternates, in case of no shows. In my experience, the first alternate will usually get into a game, sometimes the second alternate, and I have had success as a third alt once. Usually this is because on player will not show up for some reason and the alternates have already signed up for something else, or decided to do something else entirely.

This system suits the more unstructured culture of American conventions at which there are usually more non-rpg activities going on and people are more flexible with how they spend their time. I'm sure you've got this impression from my con reports (q.v. Neoncon).

I don't see any reason why a mixed prereg/at-con signup system like this wouldn't work for BoD.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: