NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horror
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Horror Reply with quote

About half the games I played at KapCon could broadly be described as horror, and so after the con I've been involved in some discussions about those games that became discussions about horror.

It occurred to me though, that it's actually been a little while since I watched any horror films. I've seen a lot, but I think that before I start to contemplate any potential Fright Night offering, I should watch some more. Plus, horror is awesome and I'm in the mood for watching some.

So, can you help me out? I want to watch the best films, rather than wade too much through chafe, because I'm lazy and a bit time-poor. You can help me out by replying with the best 3 horror movies, in your opinion. Obviously the definitions of "best" and "horror" I leave entirely up to you - that's very much a point of asking the question.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Freya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched much horror, so I can't give a top three, but Paranormal Activity is always worth a watch.
hix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent Baker posted an analysis of 31 horror films he'd seen (with pie charts!), here.

That reminded me: I dig The Mist (the last five minutes had me yelling at the screen in fury). Oh, and this short film on Youtube: There are Monsters [Warning: Freaky. The easily scared will probably not thank me for linking to this, or for suggesting that you watch it alone, with your back to an open door.]

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay haven't watched much horror lately so can't comment on movies like Saw and so on, but here are the ones I rank higly for one reason or another. And since I want to mess with Mash's head I am not going to listen to instructions Very Happy

Event Horizon, Sci Fi, okay some parts of the movie were cheese, there was a lot of really creepy stuff as well.

Alien, The original, Claustrophobic horror.

The Hitcher, the original, Rutger Hauer, enough said

Nightmare on Elm Street, original. This may also have had to do with my age when I first saw it and the fact I lived next to Elm Street. But an Enemy that could invade your dreams was freaky.

The Thing, Trapped, not knowing who the enemy is, turning against your friends and doing horrible things to each other.
hix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Nightmare on Elm Street as well, Scott. Weirdly, one thing I noticed when I rewatched it last year: the final 20 minutes are almost exactly like Home Alone.

I am NOT kidding.

Last edited by hix on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for "A Nightmare on Elm Street", I have the boxed set (zone 1, do not watch #2).

However for horror, I tend to get more creeped out by Psychological Thrillers. Have you seen "The Machinist", along with "Memento" I like the personal horror aspect.

Otherwise, I do like to plug for "Event Horizon".

Cheers
Grant
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hix wrote:
Oh, and this short film on Youtube: There are Monsters [Warning: Freaky. The easily scared will probably not thank me for linking to this, or for suggesting that you watch it alone, with your back to an open door.]

Holy cow! That is one effective bit of short film making.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More.

There's 10 minutes towards the end of the original version of Dark Water that made me scream in the theatre and hold onto Gino for protection. The rest of the movie is so-so.

I reckon Act 2 of Scream 2 (from about the moment where Jerry O'Connell sings on the table to the cop car / recording studio stuff) is filled with brilliant slasher setpieces.

I'm a huge fan of the Blair Witch Project. What it does with implication really works for me.

Let the Right One In builds to an amazing, just amazing climax.

I echo The Thing.

Oh! And have you checked out Frailty, directed by Bill Paxton? That's a fascinating movie that really plays with audience sympathy for characters.

Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted on Facebook:

Dark Water (Japanese version)
The Thing
Exorcist

Devil's Backbone is great but only half a horror movie, much like Pan's Labrynth.

Silent Hill has an awesome horror concept, but isn't scary too watch.

The Mist is horrific but not the best horror. Great ending though.
morgue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That short film is brilliant. I'm not going to watch it again sorry, it took a year to let the memories fade after last time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

hix wrote:

I reckon Act 2 of Scream 2 (from about the moment where Jerry O'Connell sings on the table to the cop car / recording studio stuff) is filled with brilliant slasher setpieces.

Yes! The middle of Scream 2 is brilliant. Possibly the best chunk of slasher-genre ever, though original Halloween beats it overall (despite Facebook comments to the contrary). (And Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is bloody great too, while I'm arguing with people...)

===

Here are things I can think of right now that really scared me when I watched 'em:

* Scream 2 (middle bits)
* Alien
* Aliens (up until the assault on medlab, when it switches to all-out action)
* The Thing
* Cat People (the Lewton original - partly it was just my mindset though, it's pretty mannered now)
* Near Dark (for the bar sequence alone)
* Whistle & I'll Come To You
* Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
* Ringu
* Twin Peaks (TV series and Fire Walk With Me movie)
* Blair Witch Project (with ancillary material)
* Under The Mountain (as a kid, but it still stands up now I reckon)

I've never seen The Haunting, but it's widely reputed to be the scariest film of all time.

Hmm, there are others but I can't think of them right now.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not film, but Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan's vampire series (The Strain & The Fall) is a great piece of contemporary horror writing.

Half vampire story, half disease outbreak procedural thriller - fantastic! The first is the more horrific, the second has a bit more action (much like Aliens changes).

Warning: they've only written/released parts one and two (of three) so far, which is a problem due to them being very exciting.
itowlson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "Ringu" is the original Japanese "Ring," then I'm kind-of with Morgue on this. "Kind of" because I freaked out and switched it off after the opening scenes, so I don't know if the film as a whole is any good. But jeepers, it starts well!

I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only person to still rate "The Blair Witch Project." I found the publicity material was scarier than the film itself, but I guess that ties in with Steve's comment about its power being primarily in the implication. I've heard that "Rec" does great things in a similar vein, but haven't got round to it yet.

"Twin Peaks" is all kinds of awesome, but the tv series is horror only under a pretty flexible definition. "Fire Walk With Me" is more horrific but, how shall I put this, less good. If we are in this territory then "American Gothic" probably does more to graft horror tropes onto the tv serial format, and "Huis Clos," "Dangerous Liaisons" and "Heathers" do more to draw horror out of 'ordinary' social interaction.

Actually, what the heck. "Huis Clos," my touchstone for personal horror, is set in Hell. That means it counts, right? And I don't know if there's a film, but there's certainly a BBC tv version.

[edit: fixed typo Rev->Rec]

Last edited by itowlson on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
thad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefer Japanese movies myself, in particular the Ju-on movies (the American versions, The Grudge and sequels weren't that bad either). Ringu far superior to The Ring. The Japanese One Missed Call is better than the American.
(Basically if there is an American version of a non-American film, the non-American version is better.)

The Spanish [REC] is pretty good (became Quarantine), [REC]2 tried too hard to explain things.

I thought Mirrors was great, haven't seen the original Korean(?).

Coming Soon (Thailand) was a nice twist on the usual ghost story.
Conan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost - John Carpenter's The Thing. It's one very intense horror. The effects are a little dated, but John Carpenter really milks the atmosphere in this film. It is a cult classic for a reason.

Secondly, and this is a surprise for some, is the remake of The House on Haunted Hill. The acting is corny in parts, but the director really does put the audience through the ringer with the horror aspects of this film.

Finally I'd have to say either the original Ringu (The Ring) or The Grudge. Both are very nasty, very creepy films.

Conan
AndyM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second The Ring. I'm aware of its faults and its tropes, but still think it is great. I also really enjoyed the US remake, which was a different film but still well done.

I was also strongly affected by 28 Days Later when I saw it at the cinema a few years ago now.

Shutter Island also really impressed me. No so much a horror film, but I loved its aesthetic and cinematography.

But probably the creepiest thing I have watched recently was Triangle by Christopher Smith. It has its flaws, but is tension filled and creepy enough to be enjoyed.
http://rpgwtf.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: