NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KapCon 21 LARP: Part II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Larp genre would you be most excited about at KapCon 21?
Greek/Roman
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Hong Kong at the turn of the 20th Century
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Mayan Apocalypse
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
Gangsters
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1890's or 1920's Egypt
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
21st birthday party
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Networked SF Bunker LAR
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
NUN LARP
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Medieval abbey settin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Parallel universe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

Daena

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive offered my support to help write but if the writers are running it as well man i may want to play regardless. oh this may be very interesting, assuming that anybody needs me of course Rolling Eyes
Anna K

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
Actually, a Mayan Apocalypse larp could mean many things to different people. I was thinking pseudo-historical, but it could also be modern. I'm not nearly as interested in modern...

I'd love a Mayan Apocolarp that was done with full Mayan finery - jaguar skins, head dresses, ritual sacrifice. I've got all kinds of ideas after watching this week's episode of Castle which involved a Mayan mummy. Curses, museums...archaelogical expeditions, cults...if it were modern, it would need a heavy dose of supernatural elements, and if it were historical (perhaps set at that last time the Mayan calendar ended, it happened regularly enough) it'd be interesting to see if 80+ characters could be conjured. Still, I think Mayan is a really unique flavour, and Modern + Supernatural Mayan would still be a unique setting and account for a wide variety of costuming and roleplaying tastes.
icehawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: KapCon 21 LARP: Part II Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
It could be interesting to run a Larp set right after the collapse though...

That's kind of the SF Bunker LARP thought. Things have fallen apart, huddled survivors trying to negotiate how to survive, etc.
icehawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna K wrote:
I'd love a Mayan Apocolarp that was done with full Mayan finery - jaguar skins, head dresses, ritual sacrifice.

Grand costuming for this would be very grand but I'm dubious about whether most people's costuming would be all that good - I think it may be hard to do well without either a lot of work, or a lot of chutzpah.

(Why chutzpah? Well, consider the thought of all the gamer guys at Kapcon in loin cloths, or shirtless in short skirts, with fancy head-dresses and little tiny jaguar-skin cloaks. )
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daena wrote:
well ive offered my support to help write but if the writers are running it as well man i may want to play regardless. oh this may be very interesting, assuming that anybody needs me of course Rolling Eyes

The writers write and GM the larp; they don't play because they Know Too Much, and these sorts of larps depend heavily on secrets. So its basically a decision about what sort of fun you want to have.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
(Why chutzpah? Well, consider the thought of all the gamer guys at Kapcon in loin cloths, or shirtless in short skirts, with fancy head-dresses and little tiny jaguar-skin cloaks. )

I think I'll be sparing everyone the SAN-loss from my wearing such a costume.
icehawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's possible, could we call it a "Networked SF Bunker LARP" in the poll?

The idea I pitched was a networked LARP: different groups of the LARP in different areas linked via electronic communication (video-conference, phone, etc), most of whom then connect up, but some of which do not. It would includes NPCs from out of town playing talking-heads, a group connected via audio-only communication who are running their part of the game as table-top game upstairs, and possibly an Auckland group as an offshoot of the main LARP.

The Networkedness is very important to the idea - it's a very ambitious attempt to drag in some the many NZ LARPers who don't make it to Wellington for Kapcon and some of the Kapcon tabletop roleplayers who don't LARP. Probably over-ambitious.
housemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nun of the above? Laughing
Adrexia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:

Doesn't seem to allow edits...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
icehawk wrote:

I edited it for you.

If you edit the 1st post in the set you can edit the poll.

Glock
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:

That costume sounds just about simple enough for me to manage. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
amphigori

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm....Myan costuming. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we could find some interpretation of Mayan costuming that involved wearing shirts....
There are some quite interesting ideas to play with for eg - the Mayan civiliation basically disappeared around the 9th centure. Why? No one knows... You could put anything there - cryogenics, prophecy, aliens, supernatural stuff, gods, scientology... Maybe they went underground and live there in secret waitng till the time is right to emerge again and save/take over the world. MAYBE THE TIME WILL BE RIGHT JAN 2012!

We could also throw in a bunch of other mesoamerican civilisations that the Maya were in contact with - the war-like Aztecs, the industrious Inca. All with ther own political systems, belief systems etc.
If we want to get a little more crazy, how about a tribe of women who live deep in the rainforest, and conduct raids into Inca/Maya/Aztec territory.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:
Adrexia wrote:
icehawk wrote:

I edited it for you.

If you edit the 1st post in the set you can edit the poll.

Glock

I tried that, it didn't give me any options to edit the poll. Not that I saw anyway, and I was looking for it specifically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
icehawk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no rectangulars wrote:
I'm sure we could find some interpretation of Mayan costuming that involved wearing shirts....

There are some quite interesting ideas to play with...

I think maybe what people are proposing by a "Mayan Apocalypse" is a "precontact-New World" themed LARP. That could be fun. If so I'd very much prefer the Erich von Daniken "Chariots of the Gods" version of the Mayan LARP with ancient alien spaceships under the pyramids, cryogenics, gods and supernatural stuff.

People in our culture tend to have fairly good background knowledge about Greek and Roman culture, and even knowledge of Arabic culture of 1,001 nights is part of our literary background. I've read Chinese fiction from the middle ages, we all tend to know a bit about Chinese culture too. But our knowledge of pre-contact American cultures, especially ones that peaked many centuries ago, tends to be much poorer.

Including a Maya, Aztec and Inca groups together is about as historic as having a "precontact Old World" LARP that included the 4 cultures of the Romans, the Persians, the Bantu and the Vikings. I don't mean that as a reason not to do such a 'Mayan' LARP: just that if we do so we should acknowledge we're going for something based on our culture's myths about the Mayan/Aztec/Inca rather anything historic. Then we can make up our mythic cultures as we wish, with that sort of "flavour" to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: