NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KapCon 21 LARP: Part II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Larp genre would you be most excited about at KapCon 21?
Greek/Roman
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Hong Kong at the turn of the 20th Century
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Mayan Apocalypse
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
Gangsters
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1890's or 1920's Egypt
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
21st birthday party
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Networked SF Bunker LAR
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
NUN LARP
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Medieval abbey settin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Parallel universe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

Adrexia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no rectangulars wrote:
I'm sure we could find some interpretation of Mayan costuming that involved wearing shirts....

Yes, there is plenty of evidence they wore shirts, cloaks etc. Clothing was a big deal to them. It's the version where they wore something other than a loin cloth below the waist that is more difficult. Open to interpretation though, I think. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Karen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for greek/roman... but would be equally happy with Mayan Apocalypse... but maybe without the loincloths?
Dale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but maybe without the loincloths?

Shocked
Karen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
Quote:
but maybe without the loincloths?

Shocked

Ummmm... yes... Of course.... That was exactly what I meant! Embarassed
Anna K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
Including a Maya, Aztec and Inca groups together is about as historic as having a "precontact Old World" LARP that included the 4 cultures of the Romans, the Persians, the Bantu and the Vikings. I don't mean that as a reason not to do such a 'Mayan' LARP: just that if we do so we should acknowledge we're going for something based on our culture's myths about the Mayan/Aztec/Inca rather anything historic. Then we can make up our mythic cultures as we wish, with that sort of "flavour" to them.

See, I'd keep to just the Mayans, and go for more mythological content than strictly historical. Although other cultures could be included if it was set in the modern day and, I dunno, mummies were coming back to life as per the ancient prophecy or something. The game could be set in an ancient Mayan burial chamber. Plenty of scope for modern costuming, conspiracy theories, aliens, jaguar skins and loincloths.

It was the greatest archaelogical find since the tomb of King Tut in Egypt. Deep in the rainforest, a team of academics had uncovered the burial chamber of a great Mayan prophet and king, where the codex on the consequences of reaching the end of the Mayan long count was thought to have been buried - academics, doomsday speculators, and of course, the entire internet awaits news of the discoveries found within this vault, untouched by the centuries.

As the team of archaelogists, reporters and local authorities descend into the gloom, members of a fanatical doomsday cult from North America cause a cave in, trapping the expedition and the cult members within the burial chamber. It'll be at least hours before they are rescued. As they head further into the darkness, it becomes apparent that they are not the only ones in ancient vaults...and nor were they unexpected...

Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, sounds more like a great premise for your typical 5/10/15 person gig than 80. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
Glock-9mm wrote:
Adrexia wrote:
icehawk wrote:
If it's possible, could we call it a "Networked SF Bunker LARP" in the poll?

Doesn't seem to allow edits...

I edited it for you.

If you edit the 1st post in the set you can edit the poll.

Glock

I tried that, it didn't give me any options to edit the poll. Not that I saw anyway, and I was looking for it specifically.

Bleh, sorted either way Smile
Joker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to vote for the 21st birthday party because on the exact Saturday of the LARP, it's my 40th birthday.

Just saying.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna K wrote:

See, I'd keep to just the Mayans, and go for more mythological content than strictly historical.

Me too. I wouldn't have thought of putting Aztecs or Incas in there at all. They are separate groups, though also pretty interesting...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just tossing some ideas out. The various pre-columbian mesoamericans did have some contact with each other (according to professor wiki, anyway)
It's true that most people here have a lot more awareness of ancient roman/greek culture and history than Mayan.
The difficulty might be in trying not to essentially do Al Shir Ma but in central america - group of modern people stumbling into a hidden/mythic civilisation where some supernatural stuff is going on.
Some of the other ideas look really awesome too. On the other hand, if a mayan apocalarp is going to happen then 2012 is the most suitable time! It just wouldn't be the same any other year.
Ryan Paddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna K wrote:
It was the greatest archaelogical find since the tomb of King Tut in Egypt. Deep in the rainforest, a team of academics had uncovered the burial chamber of a great Mayan prophet and king, where the codex on the consequences of reaching the end of the Mayan long count was thought to have been buried - academics, doomsday speculators, and of course, the entire internet awaits news of the discoveries found within this vault, untouched by the centuries.

As the team of archaelogists, reporters and local authorities descend into the gloom, members of a fanatical doomsday cult from North America cause a cave in, trapping the expedition and the cult members within the burial chamber. It'll be at least hours before they are rescued. As they head further into the darkness, it becomes apparent that they are not the only ones in ancient vaults...and nor were they unexpected...

That sounds awesome. Half the players could play moderns (easy to costume) and the other half could play Whatever's In The Burial Chamber (opportunity for costume madness).

Unfortunately, it sounds too awesome. Smile

By describing it so explicitly, you've just crossed the Ownership Threshold. Now nobody else can write it like that without feeling like they're doing Someone Else's Idea.
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh but see Ryan, that is part of the cunning plan. Get the GMs and writers to put too much down, get trapped by their own ideas........and have to write the main Larp Twisted Evil
icehawk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker wrote:
I was tempted to vote for the 21st birthday party because on the exact Saturday of the LARP, it's my 40th birthday.

Just saying.

I hereby suggest that no matter the genre of the LARP, whoever writes the LARP must give Norman a character who is celebrating their 40th birthday that day.

(Anyone for a Logan's Run LARP?)
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
(Anyone for a Logan's Run LARP?)

40's no spring chicken, but it's not exactly Peter Ustinov either. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

40's no spring chicken, but it's not exactly Peter Ustinov either. Smile

40's a year younger than I'll be next Kapcon Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: