NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Wellington larpcon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see a Wellington larp con?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

tog42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From this lovely list compiled over at diatribe http://www.diatribe.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5085 what venues would be suitable? Have people being checking them out? Wellington High may be tougher to get during the school year but I just checked term dates for 2012 and Easter falls during a term break. Perhaps we could leverage our existing relationship through Kapcon with the school Scott?
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Organistaional team looks like it's already coming together for this, but we can talk about that later.

Venues: Wellington High School does in fact give us another cheap option that we can use for this. And I know the school would be happy to work with me on it. But my view is we want a venue that gives us outside areas plus a mix of inside areas as well. There is one place in particular that I want to look at today, plus I will check out the list.

But if people have ideas keep firing them through Smile
Tetrajak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be quite keen on Hydra/Cerberus mimicking Chimera's philosophy of trying to introduce new people to larping, as it would be more accessible for those in Wellington than Chimera is. Therefore it could have a variety of larp types to experiment with.
Ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all over this like a cheap Polyester suit on Disco Stu

Firstly 2 days greater than one day. I acknowledge the start small and would agree if being run in 2.5 months. However with 14.5 months I think a two day event is mandatory for the level of interest we want to scare up.

Brookfields is a good option if you want to run like the Chimera model but it is a way out of town. Wainui/Moores Valley is not so conveniant.

Then there is the need to Cater for being that far out, but you would be able to deliver a weekend in a moderately nice time of the year for a minimum of 50 bucks

Probably not bad I reckon, but you would still need to find someone willing to provide food to all and sundry for 5 meals

Options centrally might be a little diffficult to accomodate 45-60 people for a whole weekend mainly due to price and availability of change space. Accomodation is less important due to availability of billets or Hostels in the area. If the high school is an option then leveraging Kapcon's long standing relationship is a no brainer

All in all this is a great idea. Next one is a campaign larp Smile
tog42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Wellington High School does in fact give us another cheap option that we can use for this. But my view is we want a venue that gives us outside areas plus a mix of inside areas as well.

They do have great big fields don't they? But point taken.
tog42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also already have a thread filled with fabulous ideas for LARPs. Some of those not used for Kapcon could certainly be used for Hydra.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tentitive on a larpcon, mostly because I'd hate to see the smaller larps being run through out the year dry up. I like little bite sized chunks every couple of months.

Though I supose if the number of smaller larps through the year kept up then having enough larps for two days could be easier, though of course you'd then have a lot of people having already played.

So yeah, keen to see where the discussion goes. But had there been the option on the poll I would have voted maybe.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting point Sophie. It's something that came up with the couple of people already discussing this idea at KapCon, to which I was peripheral.

My free-market sense tells me that people will go to the convention(s) which best suit their particular needs and wants. If "Hydra" adversely affects, say, CONfusion, it's because LARPing is more attractive to the mass of gamers than TT - and shouldn't people do what they want?

Having said that, I tend to agree, that I feel that Wellington's convention schedule plus the intermittent live games is probably reaching market saturation. For myself, I'd probably be more interested in the intermittent LARPs through the first part of the year if there weren't Day of Games; and I think you're right to identify that effect working in reverse if there were a 5th convention on the Wellington circuit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the games that I run through out the year would actually be too small for something like this "Larpcon", they do suit Kapcon and I will probably continue to run them again there, or switch back to running TT games at Kapcon.

I have no intentions of stopping running games through the year, I enjoy it and it gives me a good chance to try new things Smile

I actually think you can get away with running games more than once as well. I have now run Diamond Geezers 4 times with different people each time. Camelot is looking at it's 3rd run, Fleet Street ran 3 times, Donna's BandB is looking at running for the 3rd time.

The one thing about the Wellington Cons is that they all offer something different. Whether this con we be too much for Wellington we will quickly see after the first year, but I believe the numbers and enthusiasm is there now and it should at least be tried.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - you won't know until you try, and the level of interest seems to be high enough to warrant the attempt.

I'm just cautious; I think realistic expectations, including impacts on other events, needs to be in the back of your mind. I'm sure it will be a resounding success, and help make Wellington a Roleplaying Mecca; but it might not. Just bear that in mind. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put a tiny oar in here...

Easter is a time when the National Science Fiction conventions sometimes run. They tend to oscillate between Easter and Queens Birthday.

This year it's at Queens Birthday. Next year we don't know about yet...

I realise I'm probably in a minority here, in that I do go to the national science fiction conventions, but just thought I should mention it.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Think i will be spending a lot of time looking at this tomorrow, will fire some emails through.

Did I mention how awesome I think you and Idiot are? So organised. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible that good conventions have a positive effect on other conventions. I know I'm more likely to go to a convention if my last convention was awesome. If there's too long between them my enthusiasm may have died down. Yes over-saturation could be a problem, but I'm not sure we're really at that point yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
I'm tentitive on a larpcon, mostly because I'd hate to see the smaller larps being run through out the year dry up. I like little bite sized chunks every couple of months.

This is one of the things I'm nervous about as well. Though because many of those games are small, a con is an opportunity for them to be re-run (its also an opportunity to re-run some games from Chimera for a new audiance). We'd also need to make sure there was at least one brand new (as in "not run in NZ, or at least Auck / Wellington) mid-sized game per session.

I think ongoing regular larps are also the best way to build an audiance: run great games and draw people in.
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as high school venues go, what about some of the other wgtn ones? Wgtn Col looks like it has a lot of awesome outside space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> LARPS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: