NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Wellington larpcon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see a Wellington larp con?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I'm just cautious; I think realistic expectations, including impacts on other events, needs to be in the back of your mind. I'm sure it will be a resounding success, and help make Wellington a Roleplaying Mecca; but it might not. Just bear that in mind. Smile

A couple of potential impacts on other cons:

* it may draw larps from KapCon. But maybe not given the different size requirements of the games.
* it may reduce the desirability of KapCon for Auckland attendees. Two cons so close, with more larp at the latter one.
* it may distract game writers from KapCon, as it will be soliciting games at around the same time, and people may decide to do one and not the other.
* it may have an adverse impact on Day of Games, which typically happens in May. Though I think that's mostly a different core demographic.
* it may mean fewer Wellingtonians going to Chimera, since they can get a larp fix locally (though larp is addictive, and people seem to want more of it).

So we'll need to keep an eye on all these things, and make changes to limit adverse impacts where we can. We want this to be a positive addition to the Wellington gaming scene, not a zero-sum thing.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I agree - you won't know until you try, and the level of interest seems to be high enough to warrant the attempt.

I'm just cautious; I think realistic expectations, including impacts on other events, needs to be in the back of your mind. I'm sure it will be a resounding success, and help make Wellington a Roleplaying Mecca; but it might not. Just bear that in mind. Smile

Totally agree, that is what I was getting at.

Scott wrote:
The one thing about the Wellington Cons is that they all offer something different. Whether this con we be too much for Wellington we will quickly see after the first year, but I believe the numbers and enthusiasm is there now and it should at least be tried.

This is also a good point. Day of Games, ConFusion and Fright Night each offer something slightly different in terms of set up and expectaion. KapCon I think will survive no matter what.

I mean for me this is mostly hypothetical as I'm very rarely in Wellington over Easter and so the likelihood of me coming is small. Hence my concern about smaller LARPs drying up.

Blog - Mostly Geek
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker wrote:
Easter is a time when the National Science Fiction conventions sometimes run. They tend to oscillate between Easter and Queens Birthday.

sophmelc wrote:
I mean for me this is mostly hypothetical as I'm very rarely in Wellington over Easter and so the likelihood of me coming is small. Hence my concern about smaller LARPs drying up.

Which raises a question about timing: do we really need a long weekend? Chimera doesn't use one...
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Joker wrote:
Easter is a time when the National Science Fiction conventions sometimes run. They tend to oscillate between Easter and Queens Birthday.

sophmelc wrote:

Which raises a question about timing: do we really need a long weekend? Chimera doesn't use one...

No, but if easter-ish is the best time of year in relation to other cons then using that weekend makes a certain amount of sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does March or April fit in better for people?

We want to give enough space around it for other cons and events (not just in Wellington and not just Role-playing cons).

Long weekends work for an extra day off, but it also does mean that for certain people, every public holiday starts getting booked up...........and not everyone has understanding partners :p
Daena

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
IdiotSavant wrote:
Joker wrote:

sophmelc wrote:

No, but if easter-ish is the best time of year in relation to other cons then using that weekend makes a certain amount of sense.

being still very new to the LARP scene but having been around the National Science Fiction cons my concern would be, much as you want to try and please everyone you can't are we trying to target wellington people and hope that some players outside wellington can join the fun or are we hoping for a national event for everyone. because i think they are targeting sligtly diffrent sectors and would have diffrent aims.

i am sure that there would be a few who would feel conflicts if they became a regular occurance between Hydra? and the Natcons so having other LARPs through out the year would seem to be a good thing
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

We want to give enough space around it for other cons and events (not just in Wellington and not just Role-playing cons).

I think it has to be April. We want to be as far as possible from Chimera, but also not too close to KapCon. And we can't invade DoG's slot, which rules out early May.

I'm less concerned about SF cons because there is not that much overlap between our communities. I am concerned about clashing with AMERICA's Cup and BoD - the first because that community is a potential source of players, the second because Wellington people go to it.

Next year Easter is in early April. We could go for mid-late April. Or we could just say "screw it", and go with the easily remembered date.

(It may depend largely on venue availability)
Tetrajak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no rectangulars wrote:
As far as high school venues go, what about some of the other wgtn ones? Wgtn Col looks like it has a lot of awesome outside space.

I've investigated hiring Wellington Col and it's overpriced, sadly.

Scott wrote:

It's fine by me, and as others have stated, it doesn't have to be on a long weekend. I presume Easter was chosen because it was close to opposite August on the calender and is easily identifiable. Pity about it's erratic nature though. Perhaps March or April would truly be better?

As for the concern for other cons, I don't imagine Hydra will greatly impact them. They each have their own focus, and none of them detract from each other despite having several people who attend more than one of them. As it would be a larping only event, it may well take away from the Kapcon larps, but I was under the impression that Kapcon wasn't actually a larping event and had its roots in TT anyway.

In regards to Hydra taking away games that would run in Wellington throughout the year, it wont. Chimera already conducts reruns of games that are hosted in Auckland and Wellington, why shouldn't Hydra? The opposite is true as well. If a game runs well at Hydra, why not rerun it later in the year as well? It would be a cause and a motivation to have more games rather than fewer.

Yes, if someone wants to attend all of these events they will be shelling out more money. However, I would like to point out the constantly growing population of roleplayers, both TT and larp. The people at the cons may vary, but I imagine the numbers at all of them will continue to increase as more people discover the joys or roleplay.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no... for a couple of reasons here..

I'm not an avid LARPer fair enough, but I think that Wellington doesn't need a LARPcon and may directly effect Chimera anyways.

Chimera (from what I have heard) is a fantastic LARPcon, and I think that would put it in the same vein as Kapcon as NZ's annual LARP event, having another Con here in Wellington would directly compete with it and I doubt would add to the interest in Chimera.

In my experience from Kapcon, other (smaller) Cons in wellington have struggled to really get the numbers of Kapcon and thus do end up being "feeder" cons to Kapcon (in some ways).

What would a con in Wellington be able to do for Chimera and the LARP community as a whole? - not much I suspect. People from Chimera may come down to wellington and vice versa, but really I think that the cross over would be minimal and in the long term die out. (Why go all the way to wellington when the next big LARP event is in 6 months - better to save your pennies and go to the local one).

The smaller LARP events in wellington would also suffer, and those events currently feed into Chimera, breaking that link can only be bad for Chimera.

Lastly, there is a buzz in Wellington about LARPs, and is it *more* sustainable by replacing all the smaller events with one large one? I don't think so either... promoting the smaller events I think would better serve the Wellington Larp community, or possibly hosting a second LARPcon in Auckland (as an idea)...
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

Chimera (from what I have heard) is a fantastic LARPcon, and I think that would put it in the same vein as Kapcon as NZ's annual LARP event, having another Con here in Wellington would directly compete with it and I doubt would add to the interest in Chimera.

That's like saying that Buckets and Battlecry compete with Kapcon.

Dan wrote:

What would a con in Wellington be able to do for Chimera and the LARP community as a whole? - not much I suspect. People from Chimera may come down to wellington and vice versa, but really I think that the cross over would be minimal and in the long term die out. (Why go all the way to wellington when the next big LARP event is in 6 months - better to save your pennies and go to the local one).

Because two Larp cons a year is still very few Larps. If we ran Larps like people run their weekly tabletop games the situation might be different. Then again there would still be people who traveled, just like there are people who travel to Buckets, Battlecry, or Kapcon now. There are also people who don't travel because they can't afford to this year. It gives those people a con to go to.

Dan wrote:

The smaller LARP events in wellington would also suffer, and those events currently feed into Chimera, breaking that link can only be bad for Chimera.

Chimera existed before those small Larps were happening. And there will always be people who don't travel who want the games re-run closer to home.

Dan wrote:

or possibly hosting a second LARPcon in Auckland (as an idea)...

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tetrajak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I voted no... for a couple of reasons here..

I'm not an avid LARPer fair enough, but I think that Wellington doesn't need a LARPcon and may directly effect Chimera anyways.

Chimera and Kapcon are two distinctly different events. Allow me to point out the differences;
  • Chimera is solely a larping event that seeks to introduce new people to larping and provide a variety of different types of larp.
  • Larping makes up a very small part of the games offered at Kapcon. Kapcon is a tabletop roleplay con for the majority of people.
  • At last years Chimera there were only 11 Wellingtonians making up the nearly 200 attendees.

While both conventions attract similar people, the crossover is minimal. The existence of a convention similar to Chimera hosted in Wellington is more likely to increase the attendance of Wellingtonians to Chimera through advertising rather than competing with it for attendees. Even if noone from Wellington went to Chimera, they would lose very little. In reverse, if a larp convention in Wellington was held, there would be at least the same number of people who attended Al Shir-Ma (64) minus the number of Aucklanders who attended. As Chimera started with only 30 people, I believe there is enough justification to start a larp con in Wellington with 60-odd attendees.

Dan wrote:

The crossover between Auckland and Wellington in the larp scene is very minimal. As stated, the cross-over of people attending Chimera from Wellington is very small, and I imagine the reverse percentage would be close to true if there were to be a larp con in Wellington of the same nature. Thus there is little to no competition between Chimera and any con in Wellington.

A larpcon in Wellington is going to do very little for Chimera, except promote it. The aim of a larp con in Wellington is not to solely benefit Chimera, it is to bring more larping opportunity to the Wellington larping community, and perhaps to introduce new people to larping. You make it sound as if a larpcon in Wellington would survive solely on Aucklanders coming to Wellington, but that would not be the purpose of the event.

Dan wrote:

You state that the smaller events, I presume you mean single larps, would suffer from a larp con. I am curious to hear your reasoning for this.

Dan wrote:
Lastly, there is a buzz in Wellington about LARPs, and is it *more* sustainable by replacing all the smaller events with one large one? I don't think so either... promoting the smaller events I think would better serve the Wellington Larp community,

Again, this event does not seek to replace the one-off games, but to help sate the growing hunger for larps to be run in Wellington. I point to the growing number of larps being run at Kapcon as an indication of their growing popularity.

Dan wrote:
... or possibly hosting a second LARPcon in Auckland (as an idea)...

I'd like to point out that such a suggestion goes completely against what you have just been arguing for. Having another larp convention in Auckland would compete directly against Chimera. Your arguments honestly make it seem as if you just don't like larping and don't want it anywhere near your tabletop gaming in Wellington. Perhaps, if a larp con were set up, it would sap the larps from Kapcon, and then you wouldn't have to put up with larping at the TT event that is Kapcon. Isn't that something you'd want; larpers away from your tabletop at their own event that doesn't interfere with you?
sophmelc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetrajak wrote:
Your arguments honestly make it seem as if you just don't like larping and don't want it anywhere near your tabletop gaming in Wellington. Perhaps, if a larp con were set up, it would sap the larps from Kapcon, and then you wouldn't have to put up with larping at the TT event that is Kapcon. Isn't that something you'd want; larpers away from your tabletop at their own event that doesn't interfere with you?

Now now, no need to jump to conclusions. Dan didn't say anything like this, and I don't actually think he's trying to say larp shouldn't be a part of KapCon.

Table top gaming and larp do not compete, so let's not see owlbears where they don't exist.

Ok, back to the discussion on a larpcon.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetrajack
Quote:
Chimera and Kapcon are two distinctly different events. Allow me to point out the differences;

Sorry, I think we've misunderstood each other (or I wasn't clear). I don't think a Wellington Larpcon would complete with Kapcon, I think it would compete with Chimera.

Adrexia
Quote:
That's like saying that Buckets and Battlecry compete with Kapcon.

Yes. Thats exactly right. They do... (why wouldn't they??)

Tetrajack
Quote:
Even if noone from Wellington went to Chimera, they would lose very little

Except the potential to grow from Wellington attendees... What I was saying is that Chimera can be seen as the annual or central LARPcon of New Zealand - ie the one that everybody wants to go too, a second 'con (in Wellington) would compete with that goal and be attempting to take the same market. The NZ LARP market is not very large in general, do you really want to divide any further?

Quote:
convention in Wellington was held, there would be at least the same number of people who attended Al Shir-Ma (64)

I'm not sure that would be correct - at least not until the Wellington LARPcon could justify its existance.

Quote:
A larpcon in Wellington is going to do very little for Chimera, except promote it.

... and overall compete with it. Looking down the track we have two cons, each getting 200 people (this is assuming that the Wellington LARPcon is as successful as Chimera), with minimal crossover. It is simply more efficent to have one con with 400 people and therefore I believe a better use of resources to invest in the established con - Chimera.

Quote:
You state that the smaller events, I presume you mean single larps, would suffer from a larp con. I am curious to hear your reasoning for this.

Because those who would just like to "try" a LARP would go to the 'con rather than attempting their luck at a smaller, or single LARP event. (They would get more choice in what they try, they would be lost in a crowd so could hide if they get it wrong... etc etc). This means that the market for the single events is reduced to only those who are comfortable at playing in LARPs in general.

Quote:
I point to the growing number of larps being run at Kapcon as an indication of their growing popularity.

and I point to the growing market of published (mini) LARPs as the increasing popularity of LARPs at Kapcon, not the fact that the market didn't want them.

There are many in Wellington who were interested in LARPing in Wellington back in the early days of Kapcon, but the methods in which LARPing (in Wellington) developed didn't align very well with Kapcon's timetable or potential interest (LARPs were considered games that needed 60+ people to work really well - something that Kapcon couldn't accomodate in venue or numbers unless pulling the whole con into it - hence the central LARP for Kapcon was born).

MiniLARPs (something I know is big overseas) wasn't really considered an option back in those days from the attendees that I knew - and to me I didn't consider LARP to be a good Convention game until I saw it in action in Canberra - (and by Mini-LARP I am talking a below 15 person LARP).

But back to the point, I think the effort of building a con here in wellington could be better used to promote Chimera directly, rather than eventually compete with it. A LARPcon in Wellington would be competition to Chimera.
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys although I know we have Chimera's blessing for this and I already know what most of the answers are going to be, I am not going to speak for Chimera.

Anna will come on later and do that for herself (Anna who started and runs Chimera and who in fact is running this Con with me).

I think people are getting emotional here and seeing attacks from others where there are none. I also see a lot of numbers being thrown around that are blatantly wrong. So if we can just take a breath that would be cool Very Happy
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetrajack
Quote:
I'd like to point out that such a suggestion goes completely against what you have just been arguing for. Having another larp convention in Auckland would compete directly against Chimera.

Or directly feed Chimera like the smaller (tabletop) cons do here in Wellington... what I do think is that a small Wellington Con would compete, an small Auckland con would not...

The small wellington con could be seen as a "replacement" for Chimera in my opinion (ie instead of going to Auckland, I'll just go to the local one), whereas a small Auckland con could be seen as a staging point before going to Chimera.

Quote:
Isn't that something you'd want; larpers away from your tabletop at their own event that doesn't interfere with you?

As for this statement I would like to point out that I introduced the central LARP at Kapcon... back at Kapcon 5 or 6 or something... I have no issues with LARPers and TT togeather. I won't respond to any further comments about your guesses of my intent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> LARPS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: