NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Wellington larpcon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see a Wellington larp con?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

Giffy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin runs Baxters catering. They do spitroasts and other types of food too.

Their website doesn't seem to be working, but they cater from 25-hundreds (numbers wise) and have a variety of budget ranges too.
Giffy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/qfkq/baxters-catering-services/

Has got some info.
Tetrajak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a more fitting name would be Doppleganger? Dopplcon for short? Hydra just doesn't seem to have the same ring and connotations that Chimera does.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetrajak wrote:
Perhaps a more fitting name would be Doppleganger? Dopplcon for short? Hydra just doesn't seem to have the same ring and connotations that Chimera does.

What connotations does Chimera have that I'm missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:

Its been running for three years and therefore has a reputation?
Anna K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:

I picked the name Chimera because I thought it sounded cool. And I had the vague logic that a larp convention is sort of like a Chimera because it's, like, one thing made up of a whole bunch of DIFFERENT things. That's...about it.

(Also nobody liked my favourite idea for a name for the larpcon, which was LarpernomiCon)
Tetrajak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna K wrote:
Adrexia wrote:

I picked the name Chimera because I thought it sounded cool. And I had the vague logic that a larp convention is sort of like a Chimera because it's, like, one thing made up of a whole bunch of DIFFERENT things. That's...about it.

One beast, many heads. One larper, many characters? That's the general idea people seemed to be tossing around at the post-kapcon drinks. It's also the reason Hydra and Cerberus were the names most suggested on the night (one beast, many heads). While a Doppleganger may have one head, it can appear and act as many other things (in most modern fantasy that I'm aware of). Thus the suggestion.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like Cerberus better but, you know, organisers get naming rights and that's not me. Wink
Anna K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetrajak wrote:
One beast, many heads. One larper, many characters? That's the general idea people seemed to be tossing around at the post-kapcon drinks.

That's all you guys, I'm not that clever Smile I just liked the sound of Chimera. The original discussion thread for naming Chimera still exists, you can have a look.

Tetrajak wrote:
It's also the reason Hydra and Cerberus were the names most suggested on the night

Actually the reason I suggested Hydra was because mythologically speaking, it was a sibling to Chimera. Going by Adrexia's posts, she suggested Cerberus as springboarding from that idea of mythological family.

Stephanie wrote:
I still like Cerberus better but, you know, organisers get naming rights and that's not me.

I really like Cerberus too. When the NZ larp scene get so big we need a third larp con, we'll call it Cerberus Very Happy
AhGoodTheSea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetrajak wrote:
One beast, many heads. One larper, many characters? That's the general idea people seemed to be tossing around at the post-kapcon drinks. It's also the reason Hydra and Cerberus were the names most suggested on the night (one beast, many heads). While a Doppleganger may have one head, it can appear and act as many other things (in most modern fantasy that I'm aware of). Thus the suggestion.

All valid points but one important question remains: Tetrajak, what on *earth* were you doing awake and arguing about this at 7.41 on a SATURDAY MORNING? Shocked
Tetrajak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhGoodTheSea wrote:
All valid points but one important question remains: Tetrajak, what on *earth* were you doing awake and arguing about this at 7.41 on a SATURDAY MORNING? Shocked

Off topic: Cyberpunk larp props don't paint themselves, and other people wont paint them for me, so I spent most of Saturday painting them myself until heading off to the Amanda Palmer concert. It has been a very busy and long Saturday, but oh, it was worth it. So much progress!
Adrexia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna K wrote:

(Also nobody liked my favourite idea for a name for the larpcon, which was LarpernomiCon)

That's an awesome name. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Adrexia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna K wrote:

Actually the reason I suggested Hydra was because mythologically speaking, it was a sibling to Chimera. Going by Adrexia's posts, she suggested Cerberus as springboarding from that idea of mythological family.

Yep. The fact that the siblings also have the multi-headed beast gene is just a happy coincidence.

Stephanie wrote:
I still like Cerberus better but, you know, organisers get naming rights and that's not me. Wink

I like Cerberus better too, but Hydra seems to have a life of it's own now.

Last edited by Adrexia on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
icehawk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Luke wrote:
T...
2. biannual large scale LARP including Kapcon, or

Hydra is attempting to address this, since we want to have a flagship larp. But its certainly not the only way to get such games. As noted above, one concern is whether there is a big enough writing pool to produce 3 such games a year (KapCon, Chimera, and Hydra). We may be about to get an answer to that.

In previous years there has not been a lack of people willing to write a "flagship" LARP for Kapcon. Quite the opposite - it's been seen as the plum venue for those wanting to write a LARP. It's been rare (unique?) for there to competition to write the LARP such that someone got upset over not being selected as the Kapcon LARP writing-team, but still I'm sure you'll find plenty of people keen to write The Big One for Hydra and Kapcon.

Assuming that Wgtn can support 2 big LARPs a year. I think it can. But we will have to see whether Hydra's net impact is to steal players away from Kapcon or increase overall interest.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:

Assuming that Wgtn can support 2 big LARPs a year. I think it can. But we will have to see whether Hydra's net impact is to steal players away from Kapcon or increase overall interest.

It's possible that it'll do both.

It might be that the KapCon LARP becomes the LARP that draws non-LARPers into more frequent LARPing.

(Which would require that more veteran LARPers voluntarily step aside from the the KapCon LARP if there is overflow, which could theoretically happen).

Cheers
Grant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> LARPS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: