NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Wellington larpcon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see a Wellington larp con?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: A Wellington larpcon? Reply with quote

The KapCon 2011 larp ideas thread has had another diversion, into the possibility of a wellington larp con. It even has a name: Hydra (who is a sibling of Chimera, and of Cerberus).

So, firstly, a poll: who wants to see one?

Secondly: we're unlikely to be able to run this this year. The perfect time is Easter, being roughly half a year from Chimera, on a holiday weekend, and at a gap in the tabletop con calendar. While we might be able to pull together a bunch of prewritten games in 2.5 months (assuming the building is available), its a bit quick to plan such a big event, particularly for those keen on costumes. And it limits our possible audiance from Auckland.

Thirdly, structure: one day or two? I'd be inclined to try one, ideally with a bigger game in the evening (another reason to wait a year - so that game can be written), and expand to two later if the demand suits it.

This would be a very different con to Chimera. We'd be looking at straight theatreform, with limited costume-change facilities, no onsite catering, and no sleepover. Also, much less ability to dress the set and customise our spaces (Turnbull House is a historic building). On the plus side, it would be much easier for people to drop in, play one game, and go home.

So, are people keen? Would people write and run games for it? Would you play? And would it impact too badly on our current game schedule?
Anna K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh damn it, we're doomed Laughing Welcome to the world, baby-Hydra. I also liked Adrexia's suggestion of Cerberus, which would nicely alliterate: Chimera and Cerberus, monster siblings Very Happy

Do I even need to say how all over this I am? Whatever needs doing, I'm on board. I'll write/bring games, promote, bring an armada of costume and props, help out, whatever, I'm there with bells on.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer two days myself. Not really sure why. I think 2 days also makes sense for a con that's trying to attract people from out of town... Then again, we could combine it with something else on the other day if we wanted to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I am in. And I think go 2 days.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Economics Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
Is hiring Turnbull house not economically viable?

Originally I wasn't sure (or rather, I didn't think it would be any more viable than running a game there standalone - in which case where's the benefit to players?). But I looked at the numbers, and they don't look too bad.

It costs $500 to rent the entire building for a whole day at community rates:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-visit/wellington-kapiti/wellington/turnbull-house/booking-information/

Stick $100 on that for admin (printing, stationary, toilet paper, coffee), and we're looking at core costs of $600. Of course, larps need a prop budget, and we would want the con to be structurally profitable, so that the local NZLARPS branch can fund gear and other games.

The entire building would let us run 3 mid - large sized larps (20+ players each) simultaneously, with extra spaces for chill and admin. So, we'd be aiming for 60 players and up if they were all big games, 45 players and up if we had a mix.

Currently, the "standard" price for going to a theatreform at Turnbull House is $10 for NZLARPS members (yes, I know, we're ridiculously cheap down here). So, we'd need the con price to provide some incentive beyond that, otherwise we might as well run the games seperately. $20 or $25 a head is a good price-point, and covers the basic costs with a bit left over for props and profit. Stick non-members for an extra $10, and that's more money / a strong incentive to join NZLARPS (go to a con and 2 other games and you've broken even on your membership).

So, if it got the numbers, and the games didn't need too much in the way of props, it'd work. If it got only 30 people, and they were all NZLARPS members, it'd break even on the building and admin, but couldn't fund anything else.

In order to make this work, we'd need a strong marketing campaign. We'd also need enough mid - large sized games, and possibly the pull of a big one in the evening (which could attract drop-in players). We can get some of these games off the web for the first con, but as a long-term proposition, it would mean we'd need our local writers to keep churning out the games.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
I'd prefer two days myself. Not really sure why. I think 2 days also makes sense for a con that's trying to attract people from out of town... Then again, we could combine it with something else on the other day if we wanted to.

Two days means doubling the venue cost - we're looking at $1000 up front rather than just $500. But we can just double the price - running at Easter means a public holiday on Monday to recover / travel, so we can run a Sunday evening session. We can't run Friday evening - Sunday afternoon like Chimera because that would add an extra $250 to our costs for no real benefit.

More importantly, it also means doubling the number of games we have to run. And I think that would be the real difficulty. So my inner conservative (who gets let out solely for this sort of even planning) says start at one day, and see where it gets us.
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I am still keen on two days. Chimera had this same argument and I think it is far better with 2 days.

2 days makes it better for people out of town to come too. And we have enough games we can steal that have been run before to fill rounds.

Let's look at venues, see who is interested and how many games we can get and at this stage plan for early next year.
Anna K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the most amazing feeling of deja-vu. We had this exact same conversation when we were discussing Chimera for the first time, over on Diatribe in February 2008 Very Happy

I think go for two days. It makes it a bit of a bigger event and is definitely more of an attraction for out of towners.

If the date was set for Easter 2012, I think there'd be no problems in scaring up 60 folk for two days of gaming.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Okay I am still keen on two days. Chimera had this same argument and I think it is far better with 2 days.

Chimera is definitely better with 2 days. But given our preferred venue, I think we'd look like a very different con

Quote:
Let's look at venues, see who is interested and how many games we can get and at this stage plan for early next year.

You're on!

(Yay, I do not have to upend my entire larp writing / runing schedule because I am enthused. Though I can, if people are keen; hell, I was already planning on running something in April).
Anna K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Economics Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Currently, the "standard" price for going to a theatreform at Turnbull House is $10 for NZLARPS members (yes, I know, we're ridiculously cheap down here). So, we'd need the con price to provide some incentive beyond that, otherwise we might as well run the games seperately. $20 or $25 a head is a good price-point, and covers the basic costs with a bit left over for props and profit. Stick non-members for an extra $10, and that's more money / a strong incentive to join NZLARPS (go to a con and 2 other games and you've broken even on your membership).

So, if it got the numbers, and the games didn't need too much in the way of props, it'd work. If it got only 30 people, and they were all NZLARPS members, it'd break even on the building and admin, but couldn't fund anything else.

There's a bit of paperwork and bureaucracy involved but this (Hydra/Cerberos) is exactly the sort of thing nzLARPS was created to support, promote and throw money at.
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiot if we are going to get the numbers I think what we need to look at is the Venue. Turnball House is great and it's central, but it may not be the best venue for this.

Let's see what the interest is and look at other Venues as well.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Idiot if we are going to get the numbers I think what we need to look at is the Venue. Turnball House is great and it's central, but it may not be the best venue for this.

I agree. While we could get by with it, its not really the best fit for our needs. We don't necessarily need overnight accomodation, but the lack of change space would be a real killer.
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think i will be spending a lot of time looking at this tomorrow, will fire some emails through.
Tetrajak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine hiring a building in Wellington High would give us more space than Turnbull, without being too expensive.

Two days makes a lot of sense for getting Aucklanders down for the event. Why travel to another city if it's only a day and three larps?

If this is going to happen, what it really needs is an organiser who lives in Wellington. Someone who is extremely enthusiastic about the idea and would devote a large portion of their lives to it (in a similar way to what Anna has done for Chimera). Speaking of which, if this takes off Anna can tell us just how much time and energy is spent on it (or a rough estimate there of).

Also expect at least 60 people for the flagship game. There are easily enough larpers in Wellington now to fill the con to this level, there just needs to be enough advertising to lure them in.
amphigori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely keen for it (naturally).

And really, really keen to find a different venue than Turbull House.

Brookfields is our only local scout-camp and I'm guessing over Easter it'd be chocka. If we didn't mind sharing with the mundanes, $1000 would get us two halls with cooking and showering facilities plus accommodation for 50 (by hiring two of their larger halls).

http://www.brookfield.org.nz

This is for the whole weekend so would include Friday night (which could just be social).

If we did resort to Turnbull house, I'd encourage GMs to consider nearby outdoor spaces for games such as the cemetery and the botanic gardens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> LARPS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: