NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Wellington larpcon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> LARPS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see a Wellington larp con?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author Message
Jenni



Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 378

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I would attend a whole two day LARP con, but I'd probably come for one or two days.

I'm not super keen on the Easter time table though, for those of us with non-gamer partners it's nice to have public holidays to spend with them.

ALSO Armageddon pulp expo is often held around Easter and I know that it's getting a bit more sucky every year but heaps of people still go to it...
_________________
read more of my daring adventures at http://jennitalula.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Adrexia



Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 2117
Location: Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenni wrote:
I'm not sure if I would attend a whole two day LARP con, but I'd probably come for one or two days.

I'm not super keen on the Easter time table though, for those of us with non-gamer partners it's nice to have public holidays to spend with them.

ALSO Armageddon pulp expo is often held around Easter and I know that it's getting a bit more sucky every year but heaps of people still go to it...


I'm happy with easter, but I'm equally happy with not-easter. If easter is going to be difficult for enough people, then maybe not-easter is a better idea? I suspect it will depend on when venues are free though...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Highwayman



Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 787
Location: Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another opinion:

I really don't know if I'd come to one of these things or not. I enjoy playing in LARPs, but I don't really have the time or money to costume for more than one per year. I don't think I'd enjoy combat-larping (larp-combatting? comb-larp-atting?)

I do enjoy the KapCon LARPs normally, and I know just how much time and effort goes into them, having run one myself. But I think my LARPing would probabyl be satiated by one big game per year. I guess what I'm saying is that maybe I wouldn't bother with the KapCon LARP if there was another one.

In any case, I probably wouldn't come at easter, too many family/friend activities get scheduled on that weekend, and much as I enjoy gaming, family and friends come first Smile

Cheers
Grant
_________________
-=Mon Canard est en feu!=-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryan Paddy



Joined: 25 Jan 2006
Posts: 157

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:
- Pick a month, rather than a weird holiday set by the Pope consulting the moon on which people like to go away.
- If the main goal is to give Wellington larpers a big annual larp event in to look forward to and to form a community around, make it 2 days with both indoor and outdoor options for maximum wow factor.
- Aside from putting it sometime that doesn't conflict with other RPG cons, don't fuss about competition. The more the merrier, so long as each con gets enough people to function well it doesn't matter if each is slightly smaller than one big single-con would be. Size ain't everything.
- Design it to allow a larping community to form around it, so allow time for OOC socialising before/during/after. This community factor will help it to spawn more events.
- Don't just think about Auckland visiters, you're also closer than Chimera for South Islanders and there are larp scenes in Dunedin and Christchurch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scott



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 172

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, while dates are still being decided, it wont be Easter or any other Public holiday at this stage. We are going to pick a weekend and try and stick to that.

We are going to try for a 2 day con, but that relies on a lot of Logistics working, and us having games to be able to run. This is where you guys come into play. We will need volunteers to run either new games or rerun good games from the past.

We realise this may not be everyone's cup of tea. We know not everyone will want to do both days. but we hope to do something fun and accessable to everyone, and you are right Ryan, maybe it will prove tempting to those down South that find Chimera too far to travel to on a leap of faith.

One thing we are really trying to find (and not just for Hydra) is a suitable option for Catering in Wellington. Someone that can provide good, decent food to a large number of people, on time, and on a budget. So if anyone knows of someone or has any ideas, please let us know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sophmelc



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 782

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

One thing we are really trying to find (and not just for Hydra) is a suitable option for Catering in Wellington. Someone that can provide good, decent food to a large number of people, on time, and on a budget. So if anyone knows of someone or has any ideas, please let us know.


Can I read between the lines here and say that you're thinking of doing the Chimera model where people stay at the venue for the whole weekend?

I know I'm just one of many here, but if the expectation was that we stayed at the venue I'd be less likely to come. I like being able to stay in my house and sleep in my bed. Also with a non gaming partner it is nice to see her fromtime to time Smile

Again with the 2 cents. At this rate you might even make it to $1!
_________________
Planning: A pulp/steampunk LARP, a sci fi short run
Reading: not much
Playing: Fall: A BtVS game, Reverie

Blog - Mostly Geek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Scott



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 172

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually we haven't factored that in yet. If we have the right venue then sure that is an option. But it is good to be able to have decent food on site.

Sophie, even up in Auckland, not everyone stays on site. We do, because we are from out of town and others do, if they are living far from the venue, but no one is forced too. It's not like a weekend game where things may happen to your characters during the night.

If we have accomodation on site, it's more about adding options for people rather than trying to restrict them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tetrajak



Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 45
Location: Wellington

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If The Ch'akta Peace Accord (30 players) is successful I'd be happy to re-run it at Hydra. I'm also looking at making a 1920's sci-fi larp by the name of Retropolis (20~ players) after March, which may or may not be ready by Chimera, but will most likely run at Hydra at least.
_________________
Playing: None
Running: None
Planning: Sci-fi LARP Campaign
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sophmelc



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 782

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Actually we haven't factored that in yet. If we have the right venue then sure that is an option. But it is good to be able to have decent food on site.

Sophie, even up in Auckland, not everyone stays on site. We do, because we are from out of town and others do, if they are living far from the venue, but no one is forced too. It's not like a weekend game where things may happen to your characters during the night.

If we have accomodation on site, it's more about adding options for people rather than trying to restrict them.


Fair call and having food on site is a great idea, especially if the venue doesn't end up being in town.
_________________
Planning: A pulp/steampunk LARP, a sci fi short run
Reading: not much
Playing: Fall: A BtVS game, Reverie

Blog - Mostly Geek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sophmelc



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 782

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

We are going to try for a 2 day con, but that relies on a lot of Logistics working, and us having games to be able to run. This is where you guys come into play. We will need volunteers to run either new games or rerun good games from the past.


Well whether I come or not, if the pulp/steampunk larp I'm writing at the moment is well recieved then I'd be happy for it to be rerun. I'll be trying to have a solid document like we did for Al Shir Ma by the end of it, to make it easy to be picked up.
_________________
Planning: A pulp/steampunk LARP, a sci fi short run
Reading: not much
Playing: Fall: A BtVS game, Reverie

Blog - Mostly Geek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luke
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 2697

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how useful a yes/no poll on this subject is. I would like to see a LarpCon over nothing, but I am not sure its the best option out there.
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (WFRP2e); Shades of Terra (Exalted: Dragonblooded)
Running: Thousand Thrones (WFRP2e)
Planning: Incarnadine Crucible (Exalted: Alchemicals); Tale of Twin Kings, Angels of Death and the Lover Who Stole All Things (Exalted 1e)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IdiotSavant



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 1046
Location: Palmerston North (bugger)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
I am not sure how useful a yes/no poll on this subject is. I would like to see a LarpCon over nothing, but I am not sure its the best option out there.


Please expand. What other options do you think we should try?

(This goes for everyone else too. A larpcon is one way of building the community. There are plenty of other ways to do that too. While I like the idea of a larpcon, and its generated some enthusiasm, if there are other ideas which generate more enthusiasm and serve public demand better, then those are obviously the ones we should pursue).
_________________
Playing: ArM5 - Fons Albae; Pendragon: Defenders of Sarum
Running: ArM5 - Fons Albae (rotating); The Laundry
Planning: KapCon XXI; The Devil's Brood (Chimera); Hydra (April 2012)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luke
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 2697

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Luke wrote:
I am not sure how useful a yes/no poll on this subject is. I would like to see a LarpCon over nothing, but I am not sure its the best option out there.


Please expand. What other options do you think we should try?

(This goes for everyone else too. A larpcon is one way of building the community. There are plenty of other ways to do that too. While I like the idea of a larpcon, and its generated some enthusiasm, if there are other ideas which generate more enthusiasm and serve public demand better, then those are obviously the ones we should pursue).


The three that immediately come to mind are:

1. a monthly LARP slot, similar to what we have now but with more regularity,
2. biannual large scale LARP including Kapcon, or
3. a long term LARP game run every 3 to 6 months like Teonn.
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (WFRP2e); Shades of Terra (Exalted: Dragonblooded)
Running: Thousand Thrones (WFRP2e)
Planning: Incarnadine Crucible (Exalted: Alchemicals); Tale of Twin Kings, Angels of Death and the Lover Who Stole All Things (Exalted 1e)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IdiotSavant



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 1046
Location: Palmerston North (bugger)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
The three that immediately come to mind are:

1. a monthly LARP slot, similar to what we have now but with more regularity,
2. biannual large scale LARP including Kapcon, or
3. a long term LARP game run every 3 to 6 months like Teonn.


1. Working on it. Its a bit ad-hoc ATM, and the games tend to be smaller rather than larger (thus, there's not as much scope for outreach). But people are stepping up and saying "I'd like to run a game", and people are writing them.

2. We'd like to do this, since big games bring people out of the woodwork. Last year we had 3 games in the 30 - 40 player range (Masquerade on Fleet St, Superhero Wedding, and Supervillains), but only one in the 60-player range (Reunion). There's a gap in the market here, born of the effort involved in writing such a game and the logistical difficulties in producing it.

Hydra is attempting to address this, since we want to have a flagship larp. But its certainly not the only way to get such games. As noted above, one concern is whether there is a big enough writing pool to produce 3 such games a year (KapCon, Chimera, and Hydra). We may be about to get an answer to that.

3. We'd also like to do this, and there are some plans in motion, but its not my place to talk about them. A campaign will also help build a gear pool, and give us a chance to learn how to run such events (meaning: more people able to step up). Our sticking point on this has always been venue (one very good proposal has AIUI been abandoned because of the inability to find a good location for what they wanted to do). Hydra won't scratch this itch, but the focused search for a venue may have some spinoffs.
_________________
Playing: ArM5 - Fons Albae; Pendragon: Defenders of Sarum
Running: ArM5 - Fons Albae (rotating); The Laundry
Planning: KapCon XXI; The Devil's Brood (Chimera); Hydra (April 2012)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luke
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 2697

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool for that. I think I am aware of most of those efforts Smile
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (WFRP2e); Shades of Terra (Exalted: Dragonblooded)
Running: Thousand Thrones (WFRP2e)
Planning: Incarnadine Crucible (Exalted: Alchemicals); Tale of Twin Kings, Angels of Death and the Lover Who Stole All Things (Exalted 1e)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> LARPS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group