NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interested in running the Kapcon LARP?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Interested in running the Kapcon LARP? Reply with quote

Running the Kapcon LARP

If you are thinking of writing and running the Kapcon Flagship LARP, here are the important things that you will need to know.

For Kapcon 21 (2012) we are looking for a game that supports: 80 - 85 players. If you have flexibility here, to go up or down, so much the better.

The Game should be written to run for 3 hours.

Games are generally Theatre form. But rules systems will be left to your discretion.

Your budget will be $500.00

Space available, since Kapcon will be run at Wellington High School, that is also where the LARP will be run, you are welcome to make use of the space there (including different floors or the use of the Hallways.

Props and Set dressing. On top of the budget available, you will also have full use of the NZLARPs Wellington gear library. And there is also potential for us to help with sourcing other elements from elsewhere.

You will be reporting to the Kapcon organisational team, but you will actually be acting quite independently. As long as things are going along fine you do things your own way. We are there for support and help when needed.

Team make up and size is also up to you. We do recommend having one single person in charge and then a team of at least 3 or 4 people to spread the workload.

While Flexible, you should be aiming for the Following timeline.

End of March, a clear idea of your team and who will do what roles, your basic idea for the game

July Some promotional Material ready to send around the country and to give a feel for your game.

End of October Can show that the game is well under control. Have a cast list ready to go up. ((Maybe questionnaire))

1 November 2011 Casting to be started

1 December 2011 Basic character Background sent out to players. Enough to create interest, make sure the player understands what character they have, and importantly can costume appropriately.

9 January 2012 Advanced (though not necessarily final) character sheet sent to all Players.

Friday 20th January 2012 Be available for Set dressing the School.

With all that in mind, if youíre keen to give it a go please let us know. If your interest is only around one particular setting or donít want to take the lead but are keen to be involved please indicate that.
icehawk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We do recommend having one single person in charge

I know that a single person in charge works well for many teams. But I should point out that Stephanie, Naomi and I ran the LARP one year without any one of us being in charge. Unless one of them is more cunning and subtle about being in charge than I realised.
Scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I have actually spoken to members of the team, you managed to brain wash them into backing up your story Razz

But everything above is guidelines, different teams can find their own balance as long as it gets done Smile . You had a team of 3, of people who got along really well and saw each other a lot, so you didn't need a leader. With bigger teams it might help to have someone keeping an eye over everything.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
Quote:
We do recommend having one single person in charge

I know that a single person in charge works well for many teams. But I should point out that Stephanie, Naomi and I ran the LARP one year without any one of us being in charge. Unless one of them is more cunning and subtle about being in charge than I realised.

I told Scott the same thing. Twisted Evil

It worked really well for us, but we were a rather small team. I think it worked well because everyone thought it was their responsibility to get stuff done, and consulted everyone else before doing anything. In larger teams you can start to think that maybe someone else is doing that part, so things fall through the cracks.

I think our style would work for a team of 3 or 4, but at 5 it might be better to go with the leadership model. Not that the leader needs to be anything other than a person with a list of what should be done and who is doing it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sophmelc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So other than Nasia and Nick, has anyone else indicated any interest in actually doing the hard work of writing?

Blog - Mostly Geek
Adrexia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
So other than Nasia and Nick, has anyone else indicated any interest in actually doing the hard work of writing?

Well, I'm interested. Particularly in the Greek/Roman idea, as I've been trying to push that one for years. But I'm equally happy to play. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
icehawk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:

They have? I must have missed that when reading the Larp threads.

Too busy reading about Nuns and Norman invasions I guess.

I may be interested, depending on the wroting group and on what sort of Larp they want to write. How do you spell bacchanalia anyway?
artemis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put forward mine and Nicks offer in the very first post of the LARP Idea thread. Basically saying that if people were keen for the Greek idea we were putting forward we were happy to write it- but we did not want to commit to any other ideas.

Still if anyone else wants to take one of the other ideas and run with it I am all for that- it means I get to play and can keep the ideas Nick and I have been coming up with for a later date.

Hugs
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemis wrote:
Still if anyone else wants to take one of the other ideas and run with it I am all for that- it means I get to play and can keep the ideas Nick and I have been coming up with for a later date.

And there will be later dates - not just future kapCons, but you can also run stuff through NZLARPS, or at Hydra (which will be in the market for a flagship as well).
Adrexia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
artemis wrote:

And there will be later dates - not just future kapCons, but you can also run stuff through NZLARPS, or at Hydra (which will be in the market for a flagship as well).

Actually, a Greek Larp at the inaugural Hydra makes an awful lot of sense...
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
sophmelc wrote:

They have? I must have missed that when reading the Larp threads.

For others that missed in amongst the Nuns and Maya apocalypse:

artemis wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I know this is a bit early but buzzing from Kapcon and discussing how popular the LARP is getting Nick and I came up with an idea we would be willing to write.

Of course other people may have better ideas or may not like ours so I thought I would put it out there and see what people thought. So if you guys could let me know if you would be willing to play this or if you have other ideas/suggestions/criticisms/you just want to say something.

Anyway we were talking about how big the LARP is getting and I proposed a Greek/Roman inspired almost seperate but with some overlap pair of LARPS. On one floor you have about 30 people playing various gods with their own agenda's and plans and on the other floor you have about 70 people playing mortals celebrating the end of the Olympic games (peace accords and an excuse for all the kings to be present as well as priests and various visitors). The Gods can visit the mortal plane if they want- but probably wont need to, the mortals can pray to the gods and messengers can carry information such as prayers back and forwards. Demi gods may be trying to get up to Mount Olympus. But mostly those in the mortal plane will be concerned with other mortals and the gods will mostly be concerned only with other gods with maybe a favoured mortal or demi god they are keeping an eye on.

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Bad Idea?

Do you have other ideas? Please propose anything and everything so we can figure out what people might like.

I will be clear I am only volunteering to write if it is this idea because Nick and I have already got some plans.

Hugs

Nasia

That's the idea.

Blog - Mostly Geek
housemonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's the Big Cheese now? And any idea who's writing the LARP yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: