NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outdoor venues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Outdoor venues Reply with quote

One of the big problems in Wellington is a lack of decent outdoor venues. So I've begun a programme of location scouting a few to see what's suitable for a day game.

So far we've checked out Jubilee Park (on the hill above Lower Hutt), which is empty and abandoned, but steep and has no toilets or water supply. The forested tracks there are thus largely unuseable. The meadows where houses once were, OTOH, are useable, but a bit linear.

Location 2 is the Stratton St entrance to Belmont Regional Park, which is up at the top of Normondale. Here's a photoset from today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wgtnlarp/sets/72157626036043052/

It looks quite useable, with a variety of terrain.

Location 3: Oakleigh St entrance to Belmont Regional Park. Too suburban, and the trails are all overgrown with gorse. Not useable.

What other places around Lower Hutt should I check out? (And what places around Wellington or Upper Hutt should people who live in those areas look at?)
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percys reserve, not too far from the Petone train station, easy to get to by car, public toilets.

Bear in mind that for larger events, you need to book parks in Lower Hutt, and it can cost up to $150 total for the day.

Cheers
Grant
SamW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Harcourts Park in Upper Hutt? Its been years since i've been there but I know that they have held some jousting and other medieval re-enactments in the past.
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Park, up the other end of Webb St (the non-Cuba st end). I remember playing a few 'wide games' there when I was younger. I think it has toilets and there are variety of area types (meadow, playgound, bush, groves etc).
Haven't been there in years though
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Percy's Reserve and Harcourt Park are quite heavily used. Which is a problem. We want to keep the number of random bystanders either breaking our 360 illusion or getting scared of the freaks with swords to a minimum.

(It is unavoidable to some extent; Chimera last year had people walking their dogs etc, and we just had to put up with that. But it was generally a quiet venue, and we're looking for the same - reserve space people generally don't use. So, the quiet backwaters, not the big public areas).

In cost-terms, Hutt City Council offers a "picnic licence", which would cover some games.
icehawk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Outdoor venues Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
One of the big problems in Wellington is a lack of decent outdoor venues. So I've begun a programme of location scouting a few to see what's suitable for a day game.

The dunes at Hokio Beach. Using Ruth's Harper's bach at Hokio as a base-camp.

It's a bit over an hour from Wellington, and about 50 mins from Palmerston North.

Obviously this would involve some grovelling to Ruth.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Outdoor venues Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
The dunes at Hokio Beach. Using Ruth's Harper's bach at Hokio as a base-camp.

I've thought about there, since it would make a good setting for a pirate game. Someone should explore it and post maps and photos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> LARPS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: