NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiting Efforts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wisefool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Recruiting Efforts Reply with quote

'Afternoon All,

Some of us have noticed a drop off of attendance at publicly available gaming meetings and I've started to look for recuriting opportunities.

1. Aragedon - a ProCon (professional convention), which means anyone hosting advertising or handing our flyers might expect to pay a fee.

2. Games or events held in public spaces e.g. "Larp in the Park" or "Dungioneering the Library". This requires not only the cast, but PR staff making in labour intensive.

Anyone with a suggestion or alternatives?
Dale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...I've started to look for recuriting opportunities.

What sort of recruiting are you talking about wisefool?
wisefool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
...I've started to look for recuriting opportunities.

What sort of recruiting are you talking about wisefool?

Mmm. . .

I'm aware that in Wellington the Forum (Waterloo Bar & Cafe Monday nights), WARGs (Wargames Supplies 3rd Sunday of the month) and Wellington Warlords(Alterante weekends Kendallah and Cashmere) are all running on lower numbers of players although all are still going.

Is there a need to promote the various gaming hobby interests? If so, who should be out there promoting the hobby (CCG, RPG, Board Gaming, Miniatures Gaming & LARPing) and should there be a co-ordinated approach?

Apologies for any ambiguity.
Dale

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying wisefool.

It's an interesting situation. From one perspective, things are going strong for segments of this community - Kapcon was well attended, there are regular LARP events being run which fill fast and there seems to be considerable interest in future events of all sorts...

The organisations you mention are those who run regular meetings. If they (or their respective executives) are concerned about attendence or membership, I'd be interested in their answers to these questions:

1. Who are they trying to recruit?
2. What, specifically, are they offering people?
3. What do they want from these people?

I have to say that I'm skeptical about any real synergy between the hobbies you outline - while there may be some overlap in their membership, the general way these hobbies organise themselves makes any concerted approach, not tied to a specific single event, unlikely.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:

The organisations you mention are those who run regular meetings. If they (or their respective executives) are concerned about attendence or membership, I'd be interested in their answers to these questions:

1. Who are they trying to recruit?

I'm not sure that WARGs looking specifically to recruit. WARGs was founded to create an ongoing interaction between members of the roleplaying community. It creates a space for roleplayers who may not have a regular game, or who want to try something that the rest of their game group is not particularly interested in, to try.

That said, roleplaying attendance at WARGs has declined a lot from it's glory days.

Quote:
2. What, specifically, are they offering people?

See above: A forum to meet other gamers in the Wellington region.

Quote:
3. What do they want from these people?

WARGs was created to give to the community, not necessarily to take from it. But attendance every couple of months would be nice.

Declining numbers is something that WARGs is concerned about, we are re-examining our purpose and seeing whether we are still providing something of use for the community, whether there is somewhere else that we can help out, or whether the club is duplicating effort from other people and groups.

I'll write something along these lines hopefully this evening in a more detailed post.

Cheers
Grant
Dale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks for the insight Grant.
I support the idea of WARGS, but if the reason for its existence is:
Quote:
Grant:
a forum for... roleplayers who may not have a regular game, or who want to try something that the rest of their game group is not particularly interested in, to try.

Then it seems like a very small, niche audience, so low attendance is a fairly likely outcome. As you suggest, in the opportunity cost decision associated with leisure time trade-offs, I personally would not find such a nebulous idea, without any guarantees or additional benefits, a compelling alternative to the various web-based solutions which also meet this need, including this website.

Quote:
Grant:
WARGs was created to give to the community, not necessarily to take from it. But attendance every couple of months would be nice.

It seems that just this level of involvement would not sustainably deliver the options you suggest that WARGS exists to provide.

Quote:
Grant:
Declining numbers is something that WARGs is concerned about, we are re-examining our purpose and seeing whether we are still providing something of use for the community, whether there is somewhere else that we can help out, or whether the club is duplicating effort from other people and groups.

I'd be interesting in understanding what sort of measures you might employ to gauge how well you understand the community and its needs.
morgue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARGS originated out of some meetings a decade ago where we were looking at providing some structure for Wgtn's gaming community, and particularly at providing an opportunity to meet regularly and to provide accessibility for new gamers in town with no independent contacts. It provided this role for a while, but the steady growth in events in the Wgtn calendar, and the stability of NZRaG, have got both of those goals covered.

WARGS has since evolved into a new form, as Grant describes; I can't speak to that as I've only gone once. But I wanted to mention the original concept, for context.
Dale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WARGS originated out of some meetings a decade ago where we were looking at providing some structure for Wgtn's gaming community, and particularly at providing an opportunity to meet regularly and to provide accessibility for new gamers in town with no independent contacts

I remember attending meetings at the Thorndon Community Centre.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morgue wrote:
It provided this role for a while, but the steady growth in events in the Wgtn calendar, and the stability of NZRaG, have got both of those goals covered.

I would agree with this. When it started there was a significant drop to step off from NZRaG or Kapcon. The success of Wellington's gaming community has somewhat made it redundant except in a very niche way as Dale points out, which may not be sustainable. People can step off into the greater community with much greater ease today. I think a reenvisioning of it's purpose and format is a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: