NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting approach on Hit points & levels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taxboy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Interesting approach on Hit points & levels Reply with quote

..one even i could live with ...

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47231&highlight=
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this sort of thing before, and while I have always liked the idea, the implementation has usually left a lot to be desired.

Mostly because system designers always seem to put in a method of bypassing the 'grace' hitpoints and applying damage directly to the 'wound' hitpoints. Usually Backstabbing, ambushing, poison does this sort of damage.

The game then tends to become focused on this, so that players try to do 'bypass damage' and maximise their resistance to it in whatever way the system allows. Usually there is a limited amount that they can do to change things, which tends to leave players feeling short-changed because their physical hitpoints don't go up, and the GM, wanting to use the new toy, attacks physical hitpoints more than he or she should.

TL:DR: Love the idea, but it has never worked for me.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post
nzChris

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Champions was a good example of this from my memory. Characters always had some way of doing Lethal damage to skip the usually large amounts of Standard hit points that their foes would have. This usually ended with bad guys who should have been big bad Hulk like characters ending up lying on the ground bleeding after only a couple of rounds.

If you could leave out or somehow reduce the effect of the direct to wound HP damage without adversely affecting the feel of the game then a system like this could be quite good though.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:
I've seen this sort of thing before, and while I have always liked the idea, the implementation has usually left a lot to be desired.

It even got imported into D20 variants like Star Wars, FantasyCraft, Spycraft and even appeared for D&D in Unearthed Arcana IIRC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: