NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benedict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
What are you reading Ben? I picked up the "Complete chronicles of Conan" at Dymocks last week and am really enjoying it. I am surprised at how good the writing is.

Some website.

I have the Complete Chronicles in my shopping basket at Fishpond (along with the rule book), but am waiting for some money before I buy it.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Don't judge Howard's work by that then. His stories are taut and tight. They are what I always thought pulp should be and he has a brilliant way of describing action.
Angus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading the Cultures document from an LARP site, which involves Ian Sturrock: http://www.hyboriantales.com/rules.htm

I've checked out the prices on Amazon and if I order two copies of the Pocket Edition of the rules, all three of the character class supplements (Hyboria's Finest, Firecest, & Fallen) + the Road of Kings which is the gazeteer, which would be useful you get free shipping. The rules would work out at around NZD $23, and the HFs $27. I'm happy to buy the Gazeteer at $37-38. Do you want some Ben?
Benedict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
I've checked out the prices on Amazon and if I order two copies of the Pocket Edition of the rules, all three of the character class supplements (Hyboria's Finest, Firecest, & Fallen) + the Road of Kings which is the gazeteer, which would be useful you get free shipping. The rules would work out at around NZD $23, and the HFs $27. I'm happy to buy the Gazeteer at $37-38. Do you want some Ben?

I'd be keen on a pocket edition, but nothing else at this stage, so I won't be much help in getting free shipping.

How much is shipping for about 3 books? We'd easily get free shipping from Fishpond, so it might not end up being much more expensive and should get to us much faster.

Last edited by Benedict on Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Benedict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
Ah. Don't judge Howard's work by that then. His stories are taut and tight. They are what I always thought pulp should be and he has a brilliant way of describing action.

Eh? Are talking about the website or the book? That website isn't about Howard's writing, just details of the Hyborian Age for gaming, and the book is the same one you are reading.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
I thought the Howard essay did mention slavery and Hyboria? Maybe I am wrong.

What are you reading Ben? I picked up the "Complete chronicles of Conan" at Dymocks last week and am really enjoying it. I am surprised at how good the writing is.

Woot! Wink Conan is seriously underappreciated in this day and age IMO

The only thing that I preferred about the Fantasy Masterwork Collection over the Complete Chronicles of Conan is that the former put them in chronilogical order for Conan i.e. starts when he is young and finishes when he is king. I found this order to give it a real sense of epic scope as it followed Conan's adventures. The latter are in the order that they were written.

If you want the order of the stories from the former let me know and I will post them.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:

Eh? Are talking about the website or the book? That website isn't about Howard's writing, just details of the Hyborian Age for gaming, and the book is the same one you are reading.

The essay is on the website and you said you only had the Chronicles on a wishlist. I assumed that meant the only Howard you had read was the essay on the website - which I personally thought was rubbish.
Benedict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
The essay is on the website and you said you only had the Chronicles on a wishlist. I assumed that meant the only Howard you had read was the essay on the website - which I personally thought was rubbish.

Right. Gotcha. I kind of took that essay to just be Howard collecting his thoughts so that his stories had a consistent history. And then went on and made the history in his stories inconsistent.
Benedict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
If you want the order of the stories from the former let me know and I will post them.

I'd be interested to see this list. No hurry though as I haven't got any Conan myself yet.

And any other good reading tips you have would be much appreciated.

Why don't they have more Conan in the library? There is no Robert E. Howard in Wellington libraries. Underappreciated I suppose.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:

Crickey! That's keen! I am very interested in reading Road of Kings.

I have always found Amazon really good. The books come particularly well packaged compared to everyone else and my orders have always arrived on or before the due date.

I just did a trial order (I cancelled before I reached the confirmation stage) and noticed that you get deals if you buy the pocket guide and Road of Kings and two of the splat books at the same time. Angus' pile of books (3 pockets, 3 splat books and Road) would cost a total of US$108.09 with US41.92 in postage and handling. That is a grand total of US$150.01 (NZ$240). If you split postage and packaging between each book evenly, it comes to US$5.98 (NZ$9.60) per book. Each pocket guide would therefore cost US$19.95 (NZ$32.03) delivered to the door.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
The only thing that I preferred about the Fantasy Masterwork Collection over the Complete Chronicles of Conan is that the former put them in chronilogical order for Conan i.e. starts when he is young and finishes when he is king. I found this order to give it a real sense of epic scope as it followed Conan's adventures. The latter are in the order that they were written.

I quite like the way the stories I am reading leap around Conan's history. You get a real sense of how Howard developed the character - beginning with "King Conan" (the focus of the first two stories) and then slowly rounding him out via his many youthful adventures.
Benedict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For comparison, from Fishpond we can get 2 pocket guides and Road of Kings for NZ$150 (2x$40+$70). Almost certainly more expensive, but maybe only marginally if that is all we were to get from Amazon and it should get to us in a week.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
And any other good reading tips you have would be much appreciated.

I have spoken to Mikey about most stuff I can think of.

There is really nothing better than Howard. The first Conan movie is very good IMO The new Kurt Busiek Conan graphic novels are excellent and have covered the stories Frost Giant's Daughter, God in the Bowl and Tower of the Elephant so far as well as adding in new material to string the stories together.

Other than that most other Conan pastiche fiction is bad. Avoid Robert Jordan like the plague. The old Marvel comics are bad. The new "World of Conan" novels are bad Smile

If you want to read something else beyond Howard, I highly recommend Clark Ashton Smith who is the third writer in the pulp trio along with Lovecraft and Howard. His stories can be hard to find but they are well worth it. CAS crosses the boundary between fantasy (Howard) and horror (Lovecraft) and is perhaps the most beautiful in writing style of all three. Very evocative stuff and it has quite a bit of inspiration for Conan.
Angus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for "Standard International Shipping" which is free, when I chose all of them, and that's why it's heaps cheaper. They quote 10-16 days.

So when are we going to finish CoC? Well, my character's probably finished next time someone slams a door unexpectedly, but how many more episodes will the campaign last?
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is free. I opted for Standard International shipping too. The annoying thing about Amazon is that they won't actually tell you how much shipping costs until after you enter your payment details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Descarte All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: