NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conan party
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worked quite well in Spaceship Zero was to simply outline the situation ("you are a member of the crew in an experimental new spaceship") and ask the players to figure out their own role from that.

I think if you guys can come up with a backstory then it will be enough to tell the other players that "you are fleeing the land of Ophir in the company of a principled nobleman who attempted to overthrow an evil king" (or whatever) and ask them to come up with an appropriate character.

We don't want to be too restrictive. Otherwise we might as well just hand out pre-gens.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
What worked quite well in Spaceship Zero was to simply outline the situation ("you are a member of the crew in an experimental new spaceship") and ask the players to figure out their own role from that.

That has been my tecnhique with S&S in the past. The group came up with one compelling defining event for the group that allowed each player to come up with a PC concept to whom that event would bring them to the group.
Angus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
simply outline the situation

Sounds very sensible.

So, our set-up so far is that we have a central character who is a nobleman from Ophir, who unsuccesfully attempted to usurp the throne of Ophir and has fled the country with his enemies in pursuit.

Options for characters are to be buddies or retainers (including slaves) of the nobleman, or a foreign ally he has sought shelter from.

What if our nobleman is the acknowledged bastard son of the late king. However he has discovered that the new king's father was not, in fact, the late king.

Of course evidence of the king's paternity has been destroyed, or cannot be proven, and no-one except his closest companions believes him.[/quote]
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
What if our nobleman is the acknowledged bastard son of the late king. However he has discovered that the new king's father was not, in fact, the late king.

Awesome. I like this.

Angus wrote:
Of course evidence of the king's paternity has been destroyed, or cannot be proven, and no-one except his closest companions believes him.

Have you considered that the new king's illegitimate claim is an open secret amongst the Ophir nobility? However, several powerful nobles ignored this to gain more power. This kind of thing happened all the time in history.

It seems to me that this creates a greater sense of isolation, injustice and dishonour. It also means that your PC won't be holding onto hope of finding the "evidence" CSI style to win back his position, but instead he will have to go through a journey of self exploration into the meaning of power and honour that at its end will allow him to come back to Ophir and seize the power back.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. After a little further email to refine things, it seems to me that we have some starting points. Unless I hear otherwise, I am going to start planning a game which will:

a) Begin in Ophir.
b) Involve a party containing the heir to the Ophirian throne.
c) Have as the King/Queen of Ophir, a just and good ruler.
d) Have this King/Queen undergo a recent and radical transformation. He/she has built a dark citadel from which strange noises come. Citizens are disappearing from the streets and the people have become fearful. The King/Queen has begun making alliances with old enemies and dismissing old friends.
e) Start shortly after the noble PC has somehow got on the wrong side of the King/Queen. He, and all those allied with him, have received sudden warning that the King/Queen has marked them for death. They barely escape the Palace before guards burst into their chambers, and the game will start as they flee for the border.

Information on Ophir and the other kingdoms of the Hyborian age can be found here.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
He/she has built a dark citadel from which strange noises come.

Dark or Scarlet? Smile Some of the descriptions in that story are icky.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus - I have been ummming and aaaahing over some party consistency issues and just had a thought. Cam has hinted he would like to play a scholar - which I initially thought wouldn't sit well with you wanting a barbarian (its kinda like trying to form a coherent and believable party which contains both Matthew Ridge and Stephen Hawking).

So what I think might work well is if you two come up with an additional connection on top of the one forged through the Ophirian noble. Perhaps your barbarian is his slave, or owes him a debt of gratitude and has sworn to serve him for a year, or is under some kind of enchantment. Whatever.
Angus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I will have a barbarian now. I'm going to play a big, stupid, drunken, irresponsible, yet loyal, tough and brave soldier employed by Ben's character.

Or perhaps an adventurous, criminal noble.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed last night that Conan doesn't really refer to "classes" that much - it tends to refer to them as "careers". I quite like that. It reminds me of Warhammer FRP. And the title "career" reflects the mechanics better because you can swap between them so easily in Conan.

Anyway, you could conceivably develop your character so that he is all the things you have suggested. A criminal, barbaric soldier of noble birth. Just pick a starting point.
Benedict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
I don't think I will have a barbarian now. I'm going to play a big, stupid, drunken, irresponsible, yet loyal, tough and brave soldier employed by Ben's character.

Or perhaps an adventurous, criminal noble.

Perhaps our characters could be brothers. Like these guys.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you are causing me to have Dragonlance flashbacks.
Benedict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
Now you are causing me to have Dragonlance flashbacks.

Mate, you cannot blame me if Boondock Saints makes you think of Dragonlance. Your Dragonlance experiences have clearly been very different from mine.
Benedict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
Angus - I have been ummming and aaaahing over some party consistency issues and just had a thought. Cam has hinted he would like to play a scholar - which I initially thought wouldn't sit well with you wanting a barbarian (its kinda like trying to form a coherent and believable party which contains both Matthew Ridge and Stephen Hawking).

Surely it would depend on what sort of scholar Cam wants to play. I'm guessing it will Cedar Animalfriend redux (who I first encountered in Warhammer). That would work well with a barbarian in that they would share a rejection of civilisation. However, the whole "if you kill it you have to eat it" schtick might cause some friction.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
Surely it would depend on what sort of scholar Cam wants to play. I'm guessing it will Cedar Animalfriend redux (who I first encountered in Warhammer). That would work well with a barbarian in that they would share a rejection of civilisation. However, the whole "if you kill it you have to eat it" schtick might cause some friction.

I don't think it is possible to have a Cedar Animalfriend type scholar in Conan, unless he is a Pict (which won't work because Picts are the hated foes of Hyborians, so I am not going to allow it) or maybe from the Black Kingdoms. Scholars are generally the antithesis of druid/healer types. The quest for knowledge is an almost universally civilised affair (and civilised usually means decadence, corruption and interaction with some very un-natural entities).
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:

Mate, you cannot blame me if Boondock Saints makes you think of Dragonlance. Your Dragonlance experiences have clearly been very different from mine.

It wasn't the Boondock Saints, it was the scholar/barbarian brothers thing. Gave me fond flashbacks to a childhood spent wide-eyed reading the adventures of Caramon and Raistlin.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that Lucy Lawless is voicing Goldmoon in an animated movie of the first Dragonlance novel. Some part of me that has never forgotten that book is excited.

The rest of me is just embarrassed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Descarte All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: