NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conan party
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
I don't think it is possible to have a Cedar Animalfriend type scholar in Conan, unless he is a Pict (which won't work because Picts are the hated foes of Hyborians, so I am not going to allow it) or maybe from the Black Kingdoms. Scholars are generally the antithesis of druid/healer types. The quest for knowledge is an almost universally civilised affair (and civilised usually means decadence, corruption and interaction with some very un-natural entities).

Of course, as soon as I wrote that I read a Conan story which has a very Cedar Animalfriend-like Aquilonian scholar in it. So ignore the above comments.
Angus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My character

Is a Noble, with poor charisma and hardly any noble skills. My concept is that he's Ben's character's younger brother, and is dyslexic. Ben's character was very much the family favourite, and mine thought stupid, and so he was neglected. He has a deep antipathy for noble society and has since spent virtually all of his time hunting in the back-blocks of his land (I'm assuming that our parents are dead and he's inherited some land). He is, of course, personally loyal to his brother.

I plan to progress him as a Borderer (and I'll use the Exile cross-class at least until he hits level 3). But due to the flexibility of the game that plan can easily change. I can choose to switch back to Noble, pump ability increases into Charisma and become more socially adept.

I hope that's vaguely comparable to your concept Ben.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Angus. Very Happy
Benedict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
I hope that's vaguely comparable to your concept Ben.

Currently my concept is to play a highly charismatic noble. I'm still sceptical about the benefits of the Noble character class, and I see the best way to get ahead as a noble is to be very charismatic.

Perhaps you could take the Noble Blood feat and take no level in Noble initially.

I do need a dump stat for the 7 I rolled. I'm thinking of putting it in Wis and making him unreasonably idealistic and consequently rather naive.

I was thinking that Mike wanted one of the party to be an heir to the Ophirian throne, so was kind of basing my character around that idea.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! You can indeed be the current heir to the Ophirian throne.

If you would like to be a class other than noble consider taking the "noble blood" feat and pick another class. I liked your cross-class soldier/noble idea though.

And is some information on Ophir that might help spark some ideas:

- It is rich and small, so relies heavily on a mercenary army full of foriegners for its protection.
- Protection is also provided by careful diplomacy. Ophir is usually embroiled with one intrigue or another designed to prevent any one of its neighbours from becoming too powerful.
- It is surrounded by great mountains filled with deep mines. These are reputed to be haunted by vampires, ghost mists and terrible lightning storms
- Many members of its noble houses receive schooling in other lands. The House of Chelkus (the royal house) sends all its children to school in sorcerous Stygia.

You might also like to consider what title the noble(s) should have. Here is a sample list:
- Asmark (a county located between the capital Ianthe and the border with Aquilonia, ruled from an ancient and massive castle)
- Frasol (a county)
- House of Chelkus (the royal family)
- Khalkat (a barony)
- Kirjahan (a barony)
- Lodier (a barony)
- Mecanta (a county)
- Pergona (a city state)
- Ronnoco (a city state)
- Terson (a barony)
- Theringo (a county)
- Tybor Gap (the exposed but fertile river plain on the border between Ophir, Aquilonia and Nemedia)
- Vendishan (a city state)

You do not need to be a member of the House of Chelkus - you could simply be the most powerful member of the second family in Ophir. I also imagine the noble will retain much of his influence and power amongst his own people. If channels can be opened, this would include access to his allowance.
Angus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely taking "Noble Blood" is a cop-out. It would be appropriate for someone who doesn't know he's noble, or is the bastard or something, not for someone who knows that he's the heir to the throne of Ophir.

Anyway given the multi-classing being first level noble, despite planning to take all your other levels as something else is a tiny penalty in the long run.

PS I should say that I can't find anything about Noble Blood in the rule book, so I'm n ot really sure what I'm talking about.
Benedict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
Surely taking "Noble Blood" is a cop-out. It would be appropriate for someone who doesn't know he's noble, or is the bastard or something, not for someone who knows that he's the heir to the throne of Ophir.

Anyway given the multi-classing being first level noble, despite planning to take all your other levels as something else is a tiny penalty in the long run.

PS I should say that I can't find anything about Noble Blood in the rule book, so I'm n ot really sure what I'm talking about.

Tiny penatly indeed. With title, wealth and rank hath its privilege, 90% of the noble class is gained at 1st level.

Noble blood (which for some reason appears in the magic book Scrolls of Skelos) would be appropriate for a character who is part of a noble family but who is estranged so they get no stipend and aren't treated as a noble by other noble families.
Angus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Noble blood (which for some reason appears in the magic book Scrolls of Skelos) would be appropriate for a character who is part of a noble family but who is estranged so they get no stipend and aren't treated as a noble by other noble families.

so depending on how Mike runs his campaign it might be entirely appropriate for our characters. But I assume it's a feat, and I have a feeling that it might be better to be a Noble for a level, rather than waste a feat on it.
Benedict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through Hyboria's Finest, Ophir comes across as being easily the least interesting place. The fact that it is incredibly wealthy doesn't seem to have any impact or distinguish it in any way.

So, while getting back to Ophir is clearly our goal, I wouldn't mind if it took us quite some time to do that, as long as the path becomes at least somewhat clear so we have a reason for not storming back.

As for goals, it would be good if we had a few side goals or other major goals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Descarte All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: