NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conan rule interpretations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My interpretation of synergy skill bonuses would be that they stack. Therefore, for example, a character can get +6 to Diplomacy by having the right skills.

Agreed
Benedict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From prince to pauper

Under the High Living rules, a noble will spend his yearly stipend in 4 weeks.

Say a noble has an annual stipend of 800 sp. Each week he has to spend at least half of his wealth if it is over 50 sp. Therefore, 400 sp is spent in the 1st week, 200 in the 2nd, 100 in the 3rd and 50 in the 4th, leaving the noble with 50 sp and probably a hell of a hangover.

What were the benefits of being a noble again?
Angus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that each year as soon as we get our money we invest it all in horses or armour. Then a sell them when needed.

Also I note that the Wealth isn't enough to buy a warhorse or good armour or anything.
Benedict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodging and parrying

Just want to clarify this as it seems rather different from how we normally run things.

Barring flatfootedness, feinting etc., you are able to dodge or parry all attacks against you. You are not restricted to a certain number of parries per round, nor do you seem to have a facing direction.
Benedict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
I suggest that each year as soon as we get our money we invest it all in horses or armour. Then a sell them when needed.

Also I note that the Wealth isn't enough to buy a warhorse or good armour or anything.

I'd say use your yearly stipend to make deposits on plate armour. It's only going to take my character 9 years to pay his off, with a bit left over for a decent helmet.
Angus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: wealth. Really it's only half-arsed wealth. If you wanted to have nobles being genuinely wealthy they should probably make the stiped 2000 sp + 2000 x charisma bonus. Then whack in a huge monthly upkeep charge (say 200 sp per month) to maintain lifestyle, with a charisma penalty if you don't spend it (and perhaps a charisma bonus if you wildly overblow it).

The High Living rule must be to simulate Conan being a carousing wastrel. Therefore all our characters will be carousing wastrels also, so as you point out after the first adventure there will be no wealth whatsoever for our nobles until they get their next stipend.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to suspend the High Living rules if you don't want to play a carousing wastrel.

My understanding of dodging and parrying is the same as yours Ben - their use is unlimited although there are some restrictions around them (for example you can only dodge if you have space to move in).

I actually like that rule. Dodging and parrying does actually get harder if you have more opponents trying to hit you - its just that the mechanic deals with that by giving the opponents a bonus to hit rather than penalising the dodger. I think that will make it easier for the player AND for the GM.
Benedict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
I actually like that rule. Dodging and parrying does actually get harder if you have more opponents trying to hit you - its just that the mechanic deals with that by giving the opponents a bonus to hit rather than penalising the dodger. I think that will make it easier for the player AND for the GM.

I like it too. It looks like it won't be too difficult to keep track of. I also like the idea that the way you are facing in combat isn't static, which implies to me that combat is very dynamic, so characters are turning every which way.

The one thing I don't like (the bee in my bonnet) is the way things like the flanking rule are presented, describing the situation in terms of miniatures rather than what the characters will actually be experiencing. For flanking the rules are saying you should try to get two miniatures on opposite sides of an enemy miniature to get a bonus to hit, where I would like to think of it as trying to split your enemy's attention by being on opposite sides of him, giving you more opportunities to get a decent strike.
Benedict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
I am happy to suspend the High Living rules if you don't want to play a carousing wastrel.

I'm happy with the high living rules I'm sure my character will live as a carousing wastrel. I just wanted to point out that they made the noble wealth ability a nonsense. But as Angus points out, the ability is pretty much a nonsense anyway.

What we might consider is if characters are going to obtain wealth (rather than loot), such as by becoming properly landed nobles, that it be resources rather than free cash that can be blown by partying hard. We might even want to consider the noble wealth ability to be resources, though there is a good chance it will be spent within hours of being received since the high living rules ensure we're always desperate for cash.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I was thinking of suspending the High Living rules was because if the long-term goal is to rule Ophir, then material wealth is going to be needed. Loyalty will get you retainers, but soldiers need food and equipment.
Benedict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise rounds

It seems to me that a surprise round is only a half round, i.e. you can with move or take a regular action, not both.
Benedict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
Getting initiative

Before one's initiative in the first round of combat, one is flatfooted. This means that if you win initiative in the first round, your opponent cannot actively defend against your first attack.

What does everything think of this rule?

It seems odd to me that you might stand around like stunned mullet until you get to attack. I mean, why should the first thing you do in a combat be an attack? Why not a dodge or a parry?
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it very odd. We haven't had a chance to test it though - shall we discuss it once it comes into play?
Benedict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missles and shields

Just thought I would point this out since it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the combat chapter.

While you cannot parry a missle attack, you do get your shield bonus to your dodge.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
What does everything think of this rule?

It seems odd to me that you might stand around like stunned mullet until you get to attack. I mean, why should the first thing you do in a combat be an attack? Why not a dodge or a parry?

It is not so much you stand around until you get attacked. It is that until you act in the combat, you are grabbing weapons, dealing with the change of events and generally less able to defend yourself. It helps distinguish between hardened warriors and newbies who reel at combat.

In my experience it works really well in making combat quicker and deadlier. It also tends to favour the PCs as Initiative bonus is Conan increases with level. Those who want to have a PC who is always ready for combat can take Uncanny Dodge or Reflexive Parry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Descarte All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: