NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conan rule interpretations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benedict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Conan rule interpretations Reply with quote

Reading through the rules for Conan I am finding several confusing points. I'm starting this thread so we can discuss the rules and hopefully come to a consensus interpretation here and not have to debate it during play.
Benedict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiclassing and levels

I don't know if the rest of you had as much difficulty working out multiclassing as I did, but after much thought I now understand it.

The key is to realise that a character has levels and a character has levels in certain classes. The sum of a character's class levels equals the character's level, as given by the Experience and Level Dependent Benefits table. When you change classes, you don't move to a new advancement table for that class, you stay on the overall table.

So a 3rd level noble/2nd level pirate is a 5th level character on the table. They would have spent 3000 xp to get to 3rd level noble (1000+2000), then another 7000 xp to get to 2nd level priate (3000+4000), for a total of 10,000 xp 5th level on the table.

My further interpretations:

When you gain enough experience to go up a level, you choose which class to go up in. You can gain a level of any class you already have levels in or add a new class, provided your new class is not inconsistent with what you have been doing since your last level increase so you can't gain a level in barbarian if you have been knocking around Tarantia. You should probably choose which level you will gain once you start earning experience for that level (i.e. immediately after your last level increase), but I would advocate reducing restrictions and book-keeping and just let the choice be made when the level is gained. The one exception would be scholar, which you would have to study towards before gaining the first level.

It is not clear if you are supposed to gain the full 4(4+Int modifier) when you gain 1st level in a new class, since that is 4 times what you would normally gain for going up a level. I am inclined to say that you do, since you need the basic skills for starting in a new class. It is also a bonus for multiclassers, since they are forgoing the juicy high-level class benefits.
Benedict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus skills

I found the second paragraph of the Skills chapter to be rather cryptic. This is my understanding of what it means in practice:

When you gain a level you gain a set number of class skill points (4 for noble, barbarian, nomad, pirate, borderer; 2 for soldier; 8 for thief and scholar) to be spent on class skils (or on cross-class skills at twice the cost) + your Int modifier worth of bonus skills to be spent on anything. However, if your Int modifer is negative, you lose class skills points, to a minimum of 1. These numbers are multiplied by 4 for the 1st level of a class.
Angus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is not clear if you are supposed to gain the full 4(4+Int modifier) when you gain 1st level in a new class, since that is 4 times what you would normally gain for going up a level. I am inclined to say that you do, since you need the basic skills for starting in a new class. It is also a bonus for multiclassers, since they are forgoing the juicy high-level class benefits.

The issue is what do they mean by "1st Level" - 1st Character Level, or 1st Class level. I can't see anything that defines the term. They seem to use nth Level to mean either.

It seems more likely to me that it only refers to 1st Character Level. It doesn't seem plausible to me that a Solider going up one level could gain 2 skill points if he sticks with Soldier, but he could gain 32 if he multi-classes to Scholar. That's the ludicrous extreme.
Angus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
add a new class, provided your new class is not inconsistent with what you have been doing since your last level increase so you can't gain a level in barbarian if you have been knocking around Tarantia.

In the HF books they're actually fairly flexible about who can be what class. For example you can be an Ophirean barbarian - which is a pit fighter. And a Noble/Nomad is a cavalier, so doesn't have to be a nomad culturally.

There are some racial restrictions on classes, but otherwise I think it's fair game.

But I'd be quite happy for the GM to be able to veto a class change. It's ludicrous for example to switch into a Noble class, without being awarded a fief and title for example.

Last edited by Angus on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything else you wrote.
8w_gremlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the standard d20 rules by the look of it, just like normal Dnd 3.5.
At 1st level (this referes to character level usually) you get the x4 modifier.
When you progress to your next character level you get to choose to either advance as your choosen class, or incorporate a new class.
You only get the skill points associated with that class, plus any int bonus skill points. so soldier would get 2skill points + int. hope that helps
Benedict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8w_gremlin wrote:
These are the standard d20 rules by the look of it, just like normal Dnd 3.5.
At 1st level (this referes to character level usually) you get the x4 modifier.
When you progress to your next character level you get to choose to either advance as your choosen class, or incorporate a new class.
You only get the skill points associated with that class, plus any int bonus skill points. so soldier would get 2skill points + int. hope that helps

That does make sense.

It would mean however that a multiclassed scholar would be woefully undereducated, particularly coming from soldier.
Benedict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
But I'd be quite happy for the GM to be able to veto a class change. It's ludicrous for example to switch into a Noble class, without being awarded a fief and title for example.

I agree. I suggest that the GM should be inclined to allow any class change that isn't outrageous, such as wanting to be a nomad when we've just spent the last adventure on board ships.

Incidently, you can't normally multiclass to noble. There is a feat apparently that allows you to do this, which would represent grabbing power. Or possibly discovering that you have noble blood.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea this Ben.

If you intend multi-classing to noble at a higher level you can do so only if you have obtained land and power (in which case you don't need a feat) OR if at first level (and the choice is only available at first level) you took the "noble blood" feat.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
It would mean however that a multiclassed scholar would be woefully undereducated, particularly coming from soldier.

I guess that is fair enough. Any starting PC has presumably spent the past few years learning enough of his/her craft to push him above the rabble that make up the general population. He or she has spent 15 years or so learning.

In light of this, it makes sense to me that players should get a much bigger skills boost at the very beginning of their adventuring career compared to a point later in life when they decide to swap professions.
Benedict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting initiative

I don't think there are any questions about this, but I would just like to emphasise how useful it can be to win initiative.

Before one's initiative in the first round of combat, one is flatfooted. This means that if you win initiative in the first round, your opponent cannot actively defend against your first attack.

Awesome!

Last edited by Benedict on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Benedict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacking synergy bonuses

My interpretation of synergy skill bonuses would be that they stack. Therefore, for example, a character can get +6 to Diplomacy by having the right skills.
Benedict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
The issue is what do they mean by "1st Level" - 1st Character Level, or 1st Class level. I can't see anything that defines the term. They seem to use nth Level to mean either.

Reminds me of a note in old AD&D about how different words could have been used for character level, spell level, dungeon level etc. In this case however it really would have been very useful if different words had been used for character level and class level. Perhaps we could colloquially refer to class level as 'rank'.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
Multiclassing and levels
You should probably choose which level you will gain once you start earning experience for that level (i.e. immediately after your last level increase), but I would advocate reducing restrictions and book-keeping and just let the choice be made when the level is gained. The one exception would be scholar, which you would have to study towards before gaining the first level.

That is the satndard approach.

Benedict wrote:

You only get 4x at your very first level to represent a background in that class. After that it is only 1x as normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Descarte All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: