NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Displacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Displacement Reply with quote

I'm still buzzing from our PTA game.

The basic set up for those who were there was that 10 years form the present something was going to destroy at least part of the Universe. Whatever this something was accidentally sent back Captain Cassey, his alien wing commander and his cyborg ship (I think that is the best word, living person part of big ship because they never perfected artificial intellegence).

They (after a cool space battle) find themselfs back in time shortly before the earth itself is destroyed.

Now earth has protectorate status as far as the galactic government is concerned but really does not have much interaction or contact or even knowledge of whats out there. With teh exception of the few who are chosen to become gaurdians (like Cassey).

Back on Earth is Casseys ex girl friend Erika bitter that he left her and whoes life has gone down hill. On the Morning everything starts she geta kicked out of home as her parents wont support her now that she has graduated. Also on earth helping Erika is Casseys old best friend who is secretely an energy being who has also come back in time to try and help. He just went further back in time and is now trying really hard to be human.

This was just great, the cynical girl meeting an alien for the first time, the space battle at the beginning the various humourous moments as space ships land in car parks and many playstation references.

I dont know if anyone else is keen but I wouldnt mind working out how it would have ended.

Hugs
MattCowens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome game!

Questions:

*How quickly did the group decide on each element of the game (such as tone, setting, scale of the story etc.)?

*Were there many 'dead-ends' of creative exploration in the set-up, or did you mostly know when an idea was heading into a cul-de-sac, and avoid them?

*How many players had played PTA before?

*What was the best moment for your character in the game?
hix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great game. I've produced 5 different Primetime Adventures shows. This was the first one I've played in, and I found it really hard to keep my hands off the Producing reins.

Displacement was the most fascinating and longest pitch session (about 2 hours) I've been in. And I think it lasted so long because we were committed to finding a concept we'd all enjoy. I'd love to hear everybody else's POV of the experience.

For me, it started with a bit of circling around ideas we were interested in and ideas we were dismissing. Sci Fi seemed to appeal, but we veered away from it for a while to discuss contemporary drama, and then when we came back (solidly), there was no clear way to implement it in a way we all agreed on. So I think it was about an hour till we got a genre.

I'll leave it there for the moment. If anyone else wants to jump in, feel free.

(Oh, best moment for my character - it happened completely inside my head. I suddenly realised that Erika was a complete outsider, both to her town and then to the cast of characters - all of whom had connections to the intergalactic conflict that was happening, either because they were aliens or they were Guardians (like my ex-boyfriend, played by Fraser). It completely changed my understanding of her, and what her Issue really was.)

Oh x 2, and mad props to all the cast. Conan, a nice subtle portrayal of an alien undercover on Earth, Nasia and Paul - you were both freaking hilarious, and Fraser had a nice take on the space hero - although I can't figure out how to describe it: down-to-earth? slightly baffled? fresh-faced?

Svend, great scene framing as Producer. Space battles, eldritch time travel, Dead like Me references. Really neat stuff.

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
morgue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hix wrote:
This was the first one I've played in...

Dead Man's Apocalypse quietly weeps...
hix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I retreat to high in the sky to quietly weep in shame and grief over my shattered source board.

Perhaps that's what happens when you play PTA after midnight?

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
artemis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like Conans very well done alien. The people watching had very few clues as to what he was but just enough to wonder about him.
Svend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first game of PTA I've run, and I think that it made clear to me was that one of the things it would be worth learning is ways to push forward the pitch session. I think that Hix drawing a line to let people show where they were interested in terms of Epic vs Personal (or other continua) was a very valuable tool in getting us onto the same page, as well as spurring useful discussion about the shape of character relationships.

As I recall, one of the crystalizing moments was when Fraser declared himself more interested in the epic scale than most of the other players, and Hix suggested that perhaps that Fraser's character had an epic scope/outlook, while the others had a more personal focus. A lot of the characters, and the structure of the background, took off from that.

So -- I need to think about and practice pitches more. (I suspect some of the same skills as successfully running meetings are involved.) The other really valuable thing that I should have done, and didn't, was to write down everyone's issues, so I could have them sitting in front of me while I was thinking about ways to push scenes. This game differed from many of the others I've played in that I think there was only one scene where there was only one PC in it (Erika getting woken up next to Unnamed Guy and kicked out of the house by her mother, right at the beginning), which meant that there were multiple Issues to consider, so having them right there would have been sensible.

There were many nice things about the game -- Artemis, who initially seemed unexcited by the premise, coming up with the Edge of... what was it, "Sentient battleship"? Smile Or Paul's, "I'm a pilot. In the... army. Of... uh... Earth."

As far as the game itself went, I was pretty pleased -- scenes didn't get bogged down too much, and we had lots of good, cinematic set-pieces.

What might happen in subsequent episodes? Well, as I said at the time, I thought that it would be appropriate for the episode that focused on the spaceship and the wing-man if the Galactic Council sends ships to destroy Earth, and thus head off the destruction of the galaxy at the pass -- it would address Celeste's need to connect to her humanity, and Wing is convinced that the destruction of Earth and of the galaxy are, at best, tangentially related. (The Council would value their opinion insofar as they're seen as being detached; any feelings that have developed between Wing and Erika might complicate things, and I could certainly see Wing hurting Erika by appearing to reject her, in order to save her and her planet.)

(Heh. We could have the Council ships imply that this expedition is being kept secret. After all, what could be more ironic than the message Casey sent about the destruction of Earth being responsible for that destruction?)

I can't remember when Erika's big episode was; I believe that there was a reason (beyond sentimentality) that Casey was looking for her. Perhaps the alien genetic thingy that she had was something to do with detecting whatever the menace is? It'll be something that means that they're going to have to depend on her.

I'm not sure what the big thing that happens at the end of the season, but I suspect it's suitably spectacular -- maybe Jupiter hatches and what's inside is hungry, or something. Smile

There are a number of things that were referred to in passing, that would probably come back -- for example, that thing where the enemy thought that the councillor was aboard Celeste, or the note left in Casey's pocket.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*How quickly did the group decide on each element of the game (such as tone, setting, scale of the story etc.)?

Pretty Quickly really, the game was quickly put together in PTA terms. It was a lot of fun it might even be the part fo the gamethat I like. I was not sure nasia was sold on the concept of the game but she seemed to jump on it once we were in.

Quote:
*Were there many 'dead-ends' of creative exploration in the set-up, or did you mostly know when an idea was heading into a cul-de-sac, and avoid them?

there are always dead ends in a game like this. It worked in the game quite well because we were all keen to get into the game at time of the weekend.

Quote:

I had as had Hixand conan.

I think nasia had gone through the the series creation but not played a game.

Quote:

In the food court in a mall in conneticut, talking to Hix and Conan's character as an alien wingman to the hero of the piece.

" So Where is this ?" *guestures around him*
"what the mall?"
"no this country"
" its called america, you are in conneticut."
"CONNETICUT!!!! Reallly! I have a friend who was from here. WOW!! Conneticut."

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
artemis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had played PTA last mega roleplaying but again it was only one session.

I did like your attitude to places and people on earth.

Hugs
Conan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattCowens wrote:
Sounds like an awesome game!

Questions:

As mentioned, it took some time. We circled around ideas until someone (can't remember who, it was kind of a group thing) started drawing spectrums of theme and genre to help pinpoint where everyone was wanting to be. Once that started happening, the series just fell into place, really.

Quote:

Yeah, we had a couple of false starts.

Quote:

Hix, Myself, Svend, Norman (Later) and Paul (I think.)

Quote:

Heheheehe - I had so many of them. My subtle influence in the opening scene "Remember, Start+Select+L1+R1 = reset" and the casual conversation about Ericka's loose behaviour with men in town. I can't remember what the line was now, but I made some pretty sly comments. Oh, and having my character (an alien) mock Ericka about UFOs and Conspiracies. "Hey, The Truth really is out there, y'know." Smile

Conan
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we ran off with Erika to show her that yes the truth really is out there or at least soem of it anyway. Very Happy

Hugs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Random Play All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: