Fright Night 2014 - The Horror Awakes!

Wellington Horror RPG Convention - Halloween - www.frightnightcon.org

Moderators: Paul, AJKM, Highwayman

Fright Night 2014 - The Horror Awakes!

Postby AJKM » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:53 am

Hi all,

Grant and I are very excited to announce that the games for Fright Night 2014 are up on the Fright Night website (http://www.frightnightcon.org/)!

This year Fright Night will be on Saturday 25 October at the Petone Community House (the same venue as last year) and features two rounds of horror inspired gaming.

We have an exciting range of scenarios that span both LARPs and tabletop games from a group of hugely talented GMs. These stories focus on different aspects of the horror genre, including the strange, the spooky and the surreal.

Round One (4:30-7:30pm)

Find out what horror lurks in the stacks at A Quiet Day in the Library (LARP) No longer on offer
Face an ancient Greek horror with The Tribute
A stroll in The Woods takes a dark turn Full
Can you stop an ancient horror from awakening in Flyover Country? Full

Round Two (8.00-11.00pm)

Gaze on the Face of Oblivion as you hold the fate of the Earth in your hands (LARP) No longer on offer
Try to survive The Harvest Nearly full
Take to the trenches in Dead Horse Quarter
Ease your way into the Christmas holidays inSilent Night

If you're keen to join us on 25 October, email us at frightnight.wellington@gmail.com to sign up. If you include your pick of the games in each session that you would like to play, we'll do our best to accommodate you.

Grant and Andy
Last edited by AJKM on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
AJKM

Re: Fright Night 2014 - The Horror Awakes!

Postby AJKM » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:17 am

A Quiet Day in the Library

Facilitator: Jenni Sands
System: LARP
Players: 7
Round: 1

Blurb: The workers at a small community public library on what appeared to be an ordinary week day. Only, as they pause for another cup of tea they realise that it’s even quieter than usual. Mr Brockton hasn’t been in to read the paper, and he does that every day at 10.30 am, that young mother hasn’t brought her loud child in to play with the toys in the kid’s area…. and the news reports on the radio are a trifle concerning….

A game of existential horror, self-reflection and books.

Classification: M
Scare: 3
Suspense: 4
Splatter: 4
Strange: 5

A Quiet Day in the Library is a new LARP being written by the talented Jenni Sands for Fright Night. This promises to be a fantastic game and one which I'm sure will fill fast.

To play in this and other games at Fright Night, email us at frightnight.wellington@gmail.com.
Last edited by AJKM on Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AJKM

Postby IdiotSavant » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:45 am

AJKM wrote:Can you stop an ancient horror from awakening in Case Nightmare Green?

Its actually "Flyover Country".
Playing: D&D5
Running: Laundry Files; Uncharted Worlds
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Postby Mike Sands » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:33 pm

IdiotSavant wrote:
AJKM wrote:Can you stop an ancient horror from awakening in Case Nightmare Green?

I presume that if things go really badly, you'll get CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN?
Mike Sands

Postby IdiotSavant » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:57 am

Mike Sands wrote:
IdiotSavant wrote:

I presume that if things go really badly, you'll get CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to eat your brain.
Playing: D&D5
Running: Laundry Files; Uncharted Worlds
Planning: KapCon XXV; The Gehenna Memo (Hydra 2016), Boffo's Birthday Bash (Phoenix 2016)
IdiotSavant

Postby AJKM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks Idiot. I have corrected the original post.
AJKM

Postby AJKM » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:35 am

The Tribute

Title: The Tribute
Facilitator: Donna Giltrap
System: EPOCH (http://epochrpg.blogspot.co.nz/)
Players: 4-6

Blurb: Every 7 years the city of Athens pays a tribute of 7 of its young men and women to King Minos of Crete. These young Athenians are then given in sacrifice to the Minotaur in his infamous labyrinth. This year you were one of the chosen victims. You must face the horror of the Cretan Labyrinth and the beast that dwells within.

EPOCH is a game of character-driven survival horror. The goal is to deliver a tense and scary experience in a single game session. EPOCH players are active participants in the creation of the game atmosphere and have complete control over the creation and ultimate fate of the characters.

Classification: M
Suspense: 4
Splatter: 3
Strange: 1

We're very excited that past Kapcon Scenario Design Contest winner Donna Giltrap has turned her considerable talents to EPOCH. We can only imagine what terrible treats she has in store!

To play in this and other games at Fright Night 8 on October 25, email us at frightnight.wellington@gmail.com.
Last edited by AJKM on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJKM

Postby AJKM » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:39 pm

The Woods

Title: The Woods
Facilitator: Michael Sands
System: Black Stars Rise (Beta)
Players: 3-5
Round: 1

Blurb: The woods have always had a spooky reputation – stories amongst the kids, probably due to those murders back in ’95. Still, it’s a park and you use it for normal park stuff – walking to work, exercise, taking the dog out.

Today, though, something strange is happening…

Classification: R18
Suspense: 5
Splatter: 2
Strange: 5

The Woods is an exciting new scenario for 'Black Stars Rise' from 'Monster of the Week' designer Mike Sands. Combining an indie aesthetic with classic chills, this game is set to test even the most hardened horror gamer.

To play in this and other games at Fright Night 8 on October 25, email us at frightnight.wellington@gmail.com.
AJKM

Postby Dale » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:20 am

This looks very exciting - any chance of a bit more about what we can expect from the system Mike?
EPOCH a game of character-driven survival horror
Dale

Postby Mike Sands » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:39 am

Dale wrote:This looks very exciting - any chance of a bit more about what we can expect from the system Mike?

Black Stars Rise is by the people who gave us Dungeon World. It's also powered by the Apocalypse system, and to use the best description I've come across: "You play all the people involved in an X-Files episode dealing with weirdness and horror. But Mulder and Scully will not be coming to save you."

The system has some neat new twists on the AW basics, too, which I will leave as a surprise for my players.

(Actually, you can check out the last draft already, at http://black-stars-rise.appspot.com/. My scenario is going to be based on a newer version of the rules. In fact, an unwritten next version, but I got the straight dope on what's coming from Sage LaTorra).
Mike Sands

Next

Return to Fright Night