New Member and 1st time DM

Shoot the breeze...

Moderator: Paul

New Member and 1st time DM

Postby MasterCrafty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:07 am

Hey guys,

I am a first time DM looking to run a D&D game for my kids.

20+ years ago I played RPG's in the Cyberpunk and Gurps world. I have lived around tabletop gaming for the past few years but after watching Critical role for the past 2 years or so I know 'enough' about D&D mechanics to run a simplified version to get my kids hooked.

Any advice for a first time DM. I am nervous about killing my Lvl1 players and also keen to keep it interesting and engaging enough to fire up my kids' imagination.....

Any pointers would be welcomed.

MM
MasterCrafty

Re: New Member and 1st time DM

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:50 am

Hi MM

There is plenty of advice that can be given, though you can probably find better out there than I can give on the internet or youtube.

My advice is that as a DM feel free to vary each encounter. Don't make every one about kill or being killed. If an encounter is multifaceted then there is a lot of scope for the players to find a non-lethal solution. If death is imminent or likely then try and signal it early so the player can decide whether or not to push.

Have you looked at the Lost Mines of Phandelver in the D&D starter box? Its a great adventure to start with.
Playing: Zweihander
Running: Mutant Year Zero
Planning: None
Luke

Re: New Member and 1st time DM

Postby MasterCrafty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:05 am

Thanks dude.

Will certainly check it out.... first game on Sat... wish me luck!!!

M
MasterCrafty

Return to Chat