Game Chef 2014

Shoot the breeze...

Moderator: Paul

Game Chef 2014

Postby Mike Sands » Tue May 06, 2014 4:16 am

...is next week.

http://game-chef.com/

It's a fun exercise - write a game in a short time with some constraints we won't know until the contest begins. Recommended to all who have aspirations to design a game, or learn more about how rpgs work.
Mike Sands

Re: Game Chef 2014

Postby catty_big » Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 pm

I keep wimping out of this, but I really want to push myself to submit an entry this year, even if just for the discipline.

As a matter of interest, who among the users here has entered Game Chef in the past?
Currently promoting Sci-Fi Beta Kappa (published November 2013) and working on several other games: visit the indyhippo design lab for details.
catty_big

Postby Mike Sands » Thu May 08, 2014 10:07 pm

I've entered a few times, and I think there are some other locals who've done it.

It's good fun, and if you've been reluctant to take part because of any sort of fear, the contest is inclusive and encouraging. The worst that can happen is that you get some blunt feedback on the game you wrote in a week, which can be hard but is to be expected really.

I find the exercise is a good reminder that game design is a doable thing that can be done in a short, quick format.
Mike Sands

Postby Steve Hickey » Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 pm

I've done it too, and found it great.

It either seems to take up the entire duration of the contest or I get the thing done in a day. I've found shorter drafts more enjoyable to work on.

A Game Chef draft seems to benefit disproportionately from even a tiny bit of playtesting and revision.

It's also great if the contest's themes match up with a game that's been in the back of your head for a while. I find the time constraints and sense of community give me an excuse to work on (and 'finish') something I wanted to do anyway but had been putting off.
Steve Hickey

Postby catty_big » Fri May 09, 2014 4:47 pm

It also explains some of the weirdness in some published games. Like when I first heard about Shab Al-hiri Roach I thought Hoooooly shee-it. But then someone told me it was an entry in a previous Game Chef and I thought Ah ok, figures.
Currently promoting Sci-Fi Beta Kappa (published November 2013) and working on several other games: visit the indyhippo design lab for details.
catty_big

Postby catty_big » Wed May 21, 2014 10:28 pm

...aaaaand, submitted! Good luck to everyone else who entered :).
catty_big

Postby Mike Sands » Wed May 21, 2014 10:49 pm

cool. I had some good ideas but a nasty cold prevented anything getting finished, unfortunately. I'll be keeping those ideas on file.
Mike Sands

Postby catty_big » Thu May 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Mike Sands wrote:cool. I had some good ideas but a nasty cold prevented anything getting finished, unfortunately. I'll be keeping those ideas on file.

Next year dude...
catty_big

Postby Mike Sands » Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 pm

catty_big wrote:
Mike Sands wrote:cool. I had some good ideas but a nasty cold prevented anything getting finished, unfortunately. I'll be keeping those ideas on file.

Next year dude...

Not planning to wait that long, actually.
Mike Sands

Postby Anarchangel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:19 am

Steve Hickey wrote:It's also great if the contest's themes match up with a game that's been in the back of your head for a while.

The reverse of this is why I haven't entered for a few years! This year was the same... plus bad timing, work-wise.
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

Next

Return to Chat