New D&D edition info

Shoot the breeze...

Moderator: Paul

New D&D edition info

Postby Mike Sands » Mon May 19, 2014 9:28 pm

http://company.wizards.com/content/tyranny-dragons-coming

I think that tying the new release into an adventure series about dragons is pretty cool.

Anyone involved in the beta got some impressions about what the game itself feels like this time around? I had a look at the early playtest packs, but they didn't grab me.
Mike Sands

Re: New D&D edition info

Postby Luke » Tue May 20, 2014 3:01 am

If I had to summarise D&D 5e it would be its a simplified D&D3e. It draws on some of the other editions in small ways such as the flattened math of pre-3e and a hint of 4e's ease of use. However, its language is almost identical to 3e. I don't think it adds anything that hasn't been seen before.
Playing: D&D5e
Running: Masks, Tales from the Loop
Planning: Esper Genesis
Luke

Postby Mikeythorn » Wed May 21, 2014 3:13 am

Have you been involved in the beta Luke? I have been somewhat disengaged this edition around. I think I was ripe for rediscovering D&D when 4e arrived, but at the moment I am still clearly on a fantasy RPG downswing and just don't feel that interested. Especially as what I have heard around it sounds like a step back towards 3e in terms of game design.

4e did have some genuinely original ideas - even if they weren't all perfectly implemented. Healing surges, skill challenges and the like. Will there be any innovations at all with 5e?
Mikeythorn

Postby Mike Sands » Wed May 21, 2014 5:10 am

Mikeythorn wrote:Will there be any innovations at all with 5e?

I definitely get the impression it is more about getting back to basics than innovating.
Mike Sands

Postby Paul » Wed May 21, 2014 5:52 am

I read through the first few versions of the playtest and was uninspired.

I know I am not the target audience so they probably did not care about my feedback.
Paul
Board Admin

Postby Luke » Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 am

Mikeythorn wrote:Have you been involved in the beta Luke?

Will there be any innovations at all with 5e?

No. I have been reading it as it came out and even ran a session.

Not that I can see. The most "innovative" mechanic is using a reroll for advantage to reduce modifiers (which appeared in certain classes in 2e, 3e and 4e. They have managed to reduce Skills, Feats etc somewhat and have made them optional to an extent like Essentials did.

But as Mike says, this edition is about catering to as much of the Pathfinder market they can, whilst also recapturing as much of the pre-3e market as they can manage. The 4e market is pretty much ignored.

I will be getting the core books. It's a solid(ish), modern, not vastly complex, inoffensive version of D&D.
Luke

Postby morgue » Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 am

Luke wrote:It's a solid(ish), modern, not vastly complex, inoffensive version of D&D.

I mostly agree. I also think "inoffensive" is a really worthwhile goal, and a deceptively tricky one. Will be fascinated to see the final form it takes.
morgue

Postby Luke » Fri May 23, 2014 7:26 pm

I agree. I think 5e is the D&D that WotC needs to release given its current situation.

By all accounts, the final books are 99% the same as the final playtest documents, so they should give you a good steer on what to expect.

Another good thing I heard is that the DMG will have sidebars on how to convert material from earlier editions to 5e :)
Luke

Postby Pcow » Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 am

Luke wrote:Another good thing I heard is that the DMG will have sidebars on how to convert material from earlier editions to 5e :)

Wow thats really cool
..pWc..
Pcow

Postby morgue » Tue May 27, 2014 9:47 am

announced today:
BASIC D&D - complete game, levels 1 to 20 - will be a free PDF.

That changes the game right there.
morgue

Next

Return to Chat