New D&D edition info

Shoot the breeze...

Moderator: Paul

Re: New D&D edition info

Postby Mike Sands » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:53 am

Yep, I can see where you are coming from Luke, but I am thinking similar to Morgue.

Previously, my dungeon crawling selection would have been: Torchbearer, Dungeon World, Lamentations of the Flame Princess. I think D&D 5 can be added to that toolkit - probably as an 'in-between' choice compared to the others.
Mike Sands

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:44 am

morgue wrote:The 1e vibe is the vibe of frustration...

In terms of mechanical coherency, sure. But there's more to RPGs than that, and 5e doesn't really excel in that regard in any case IMO.

Mike Sands wrote:Yep, I can see where you are coming from Luke, but I am thinking similar to Morgue.

Previously, my dungeon crawling selection would have been: Torchbearer, Dungeon World, Lamentations of the Flame Princess. I think D&D 5 can be added to that toolkit - probably as an 'in-between' choice compared to the others.

Cool. I am similar (though I would go Basic Fantasy over LotFP for my B/X clone). My current D&D stable is Dungeon World, Basic Fantasy, C&C, 1e, 4e and 5e. I am looking forward to playing some 5e but its 1 of 6 options, and the main stand out feature over the others is that its the most recent official version. TBH I expect Dungeon World is likely to get the most play time for me regardless :D
Last edited by Luke on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playing: D&D5e
Running: Tales from the Loop
Planning: Esper Genesis, Kult Divinity Lost
Luke

Postby Mikeythorn » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:17 pm

I like the look of 5th edition, and love the hints of flavour such as the trinkets and "bonds" and "flaws". But I do think some of the language could have been more simple. I had to reread the short paragraph on cantrips several times before I got it. Too many terms like "at will" and "spell slots" were used for my liking.

Also, I see that the main NZ distributor of board games (PixelPark) has a note on their website to say that they will expect the Starter Set to be available for distribution on 15 July. Which means a word to Cereberus Games might see that in your hands much quicker than via Amazon.
Mikeythorn

Postby Anarchangel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:03 am

Ha! If I'd realised there were going to be supply issues I could have popped by a game store!
Ardens Ludere
My games: The Sprawl; Conquering Corsairs.
Con Rotation: The Sprawl; Dungeon World.
Anarchangel

Postby Luke » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:15 am

Wizards of the Coast have a policy of releasing their books 2 to 4 weeks early (or even exclusively at times) to certain Gaming Stores in the US that are part of its Play Network. Its possible for non-US stores to be included but the requirements are almost impossible IIRC.

On saying that, a quick look around shows that a few stores have broken the general retail date, so the keen can get the books earlier.
Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:00 am

So, I have my copy of the PHB and have Lost Mine of Phandelver on the calendar to run soon. The PHB was better than I expected from the playtest and Basic. Character creation was fullsome yet fun. The proof will be in the pudding, but I have a feeling that 5e will play better than it reads.
Luke

Previous

Return to Chat