Best RPGs review - 2006 to 2016

Shoot the breeze...

Moderator: Paul

Best RPGs review - 2006 to 2016

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:07 pm

I have been doing my Top 5 RPGs Published by Year for 10 years now, so its time for review.

This isn't necessarily a Top 5 RPGs Published between 2006 to 2016 for a number of reasons. One of the limitations of the criteria is that there are a number of RPGs that I did not encounter in the year that they were published. Also, there will always be a unquantifiable weighting effect based on time.

The purpose is more to look at what has stood the test of time and to see whether what I rate highly by year is any indication of whether it will pass that test.

For completeness, the 5 RPGs that were published before 2006 that are still with me today are:
- WFRP2e
- Exalted1e
- Trinity
- Tribe8
- Dragon Warriors

Here's the list of the last 10 years, with those RPGs that I no longer really consider for my table today italicised and in orange:

2016: Godbound, Coriolis, Amethyst Quintessence, Adventures In Middle-Earth, Genlab Alpha.
2015: Shadow of the Demon Lord, Urban Shadows, Mutant Year Zero, Star Wars: Force and Destiny, Exalted 3e.
2014: Far Away Land, D&D 5e, Ryuutama, Icons: Assembled Edition, Book of Cairn.
2013: Atlantis: The Second Age, Double Cross, Warbirds, Golden Sky Stories, Lords of Gossamer and Shadow.
2012: Tenra Bansho Zero, Shadows of Esteren, Marvel Heroic, Hellas 2nd Ed., Legends of the Wulin.
2011: One Ring, Mistborn, Fabled Lands, Vampire the Masquerade 20th Ann. Ed., Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2e.
2010: Eclipse Phase, Gamma World D&D4e, Dresden Files, Eoris, Icons.
2009: D&D4e, Mouse Guard, Summerland, Anima, WFRP3e.
2008: CthulhuTech, Dragon Warriors, D&D4e, Dark Heresy, Grimm.
2007: CthulhuTech, Star Wars Saga Ed., Monte Cook's World of Darkness, Solomon Kane, BlissStage.
2006: A Game of Thrones OGL, Spirit of the Century, Qin, Burning Empires, Agon.

Observations:
- in recent years, the #5 entry is the first to drop off. I can see the #4 entries also disappearing in time.
- a number of drop offs are due to being replaced by later editions or other RPGs.
- 2009 and 2010 were really a low point in RPGs as identified at the time.
- it is uncommon but there are instances where RPGs stay even though higher rated RPGs drop off, such as AFF2e, Qin and Hellas. These RPG stayed as they are ones that I also love to read. That suggests that I weight games at the time by how much I want to play them, but the desire to want to read them seems to have greater longevity.
- I would say that since 2012 there has been a greater number of RPGs that I would consider as candidates for the top 5 reflected by the number that have not dropped off. But I expect that there is also an element of time being a factor, with new games being more attractive. I expect some of those newer RPGs to drop off over time.

If I had to pick the Top 5 RPGs Published in 2006 to 2016, I would choose in no particular order:
- Cthulhutech
- Shadow of the Demon Lord
- Atlantis: The Second Age
- Far Away Land
- The One Ring

As per my annual posts, a notable mention would go to D&D5e. Also, Godbound may well be on that list but the #1 of the 2016 list it is really too early to tell.

My observation from that is that this is pretty much list of #1s picks, so that is reassuring :)
Playing: D&D5e
Running: Tales from the Loop
Planning: Esper Genesis, Kult Divinity Lost; Zweihander
Luke

Re: Best RPGs review - 2006 to 2016

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Also, I should add a checklist of what I have actually managed to play on this list. Those I have are in green and those I haven't are in red. I have also put in orange those RPGs that are on my 'to play' list.

2016: Godbound, Coriolis, Amethyst Quintessence, Adventures In Middle-Earth, Genlab Alpha.
2015: Shadow of the Demon Lord, Urban Shadows, Mutant Year Zero, Star Wars: Force and Destiny, Exalted 3e.
2014: Far Away Land, D&D 5e, Ryuutama, Icons: Assembled Edition, Book of Cairn.
2013: Atlantis: The Second Age, Double Cross, Warbirds, Golden Sky Stories, Lords of Gossamer and Shadow.
2012: Tenra Bansho Zero, Shadows of Esteren, Marvel Heroic, Hellas 2nd Ed., Legends of the Wulin.
2011: One Ring, Mistborn, Fabled Lands, Vampire the Masquerade 20th Ann. Ed., Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2e.
2010: Eclipse Phase, Gamma World D&D4e, Dresden Files, Eoris, Icons.
2009: D&D4e, Mouse Guard, Summerland, Anima, WFRP3e.
2008: CthulhuTech, Dragon Warriors, D&D4e, Dark Heresy, Grimm.
2007: CthulhuTech, Star Wars Saga Ed., Monte Cook's World of Darkness, Solomon Kane, BlissStage.
2006: A Game of Thrones OGL, Spirit of the Century, Qin, Burning Empires, Agon.

That's about what I would expect. The higher the ranking the higher chance it was played. Again 2010, my low point, shows why it was such. Playing the RPG in some cases is the reason why it has since dropped of the list, but that is not always the case.

Its worth noting that I am running Adventures in Middle Earth at Kapcon in 2017 and the Fria Ligan trio of Mutant Year Zero, Genlab Alpha, and Coriolis are high on my to be played list, but I am waiting for the right opportunity.
Playing: D&D5e
Running: Tales from the Loop
Planning: Esper Genesis, Kult Divinity Lost; Zweihander
Luke

Return to Chat